Looking for a Mentor

Anne Schwab

Hi there! My fiancé and I just bought a house and there’s an 18’ wooden/canvas canoe in the attic. We’re both handy and would love to take on the refurbish project but haven’t done anything with canoes before. I’ve posted once before in here and we might have an Arrowhead sailing canoe. Here’s the question - *no idea if this is realistic or not*… are there any schools or shops or classes out there where we could bring this canoe and work on it together with some guidance? We can do the work, but need coaching. Do any schools allow you to bring your own project? Thanks in advance! We’re located in Cleveland, OH but could trailer this thing anywhere.
568595BA-26F1-40CC-ACBA-A2B7CDC612C1.jpeg
FF4BCFFD-9A69-49BF-9113-FEC4CF89FBF5.jpeg
013D589D-8196-4268-A977-9C15D9BC37D2.jpeg

I am a member of Three Rivers Chapter and live in Cadiz, OH about two hours South of you. Send me a private message with your phone number and we can discuss your situation.

Some of the professional builders offer classes where you can come to their shop and either build a new canoe or restore one of your own. My experience was with Pam Wedd near Perry Sound Ontario which isn’t too far from you. She had nice accommodations, opportunities for paddling, and a beautiful setting. My daughter and I built a canoe in 10 days while two other couples restored their canoes. It was a wonderful experience. I think she may have retired but some of the other professional builders offer the same opportunities.

Kidding. You've found the right place to make your canoe restoration dreams come true: this forum. Join the Three Rivers Chapter and you'll meet Andy, Craig and a bunch of other real live restoration experts who will coach you through the journey.

Thank you all so much for your responses! Really glad to have found this forum. Following up with Andy and the Three Rivers Chapter now. Hopefully one day I'll be able to share some before and after photos!

Back