Filler

Bobf

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I will be filling the canvas on my canoe in my garage in the next couple of weeks. I plan to follow the formula from Wooden Canoe #16. The temperature doesn’t get below freezing in there but it is cold. Any recommendations on adding additional Japan Drier and how much to the mix?

Reprinted from Wooden Canoe #16 (no lead)
o 43 ounces boiled linseed oil
o 21 ounces mineral spirits
o 34 ounces enamel paint
o 2 ounces Japan drier
o 6 1/4 pounds 300 grit silica
o 2 ounces spar varnish

My restoration is almost ready for canvas and filler. I was just getting ready to order some pre mixed.

Why do you choose to mix your own?

No good reason, just falls into my DIY mind set. Like to learn and understand how things work.

My restoration is almost ready for canvas and filler. I was just getting ready to order some pre mixed.

The cost of the parts is less then the cost of the whole plus shipping, unless you value your time sourcing the raw materials...

The cost of the parts is less then the cost of the whole plus shipping, unless you value your time sourcing the raw materials...

It appears I have everything readily on hand except the 300 grit silica ...where does one find such a thing?

Then I'd just borrow my sisters dough mixer...

Columbus Clay in Ohio has everything that you will need. That is where I am going to get my supplies when I start getting ready for a filler. I plan to mix mine from scratch too. Grover Griffin owner of Skeezix

Back