Linkanoe refinishing

Carosean

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a Linkanoe in good condition but the finish is in need of repair. Does anyone know what the orignal finish on a Linkanoe is and what is the best way to restore or replace it? Varnish or shellac or combo? Thanks.

My Linkanoe was rough shape when I got it. Most of the wood was sanded to remove previous finish, and get rid of some marks and rust stain. The micarta panels were stripped with a BRIEF exposure to a paint stripper, and washed quickly with acetone. The previous finish on the panels came off easily. Everything was then refinished with spar varnish, which I believe to be what was used by Link originally. First coat was diluted 1:1, followed by straight varnish, one or two coats. Tom McCloud

Thanks for your quick reply, I assumed spar varnish would be correct. As well I have a crack in one of the ribs its been repaired but, it concerns me structurally. Is it possible to repair the laminated wood or can I get a replacement? The crack is about 3" long and glued. Thanks

Last edited:
If you don't have it already, get yourself a copy of Wooden Canoe, vol.33, no.4, issue 160, August 2010. As for the ribs, there are no replacements, but you can repair them. If you have studied the rib carefully from the side you see 11 layers! I rebuilt many damaged ribs by cutting out the damage down to a solid layer,then adding new wood - not necessarily veneer thin - but whatever thickness can be bent comfortably. I used epoxy to glue in. Then do a little shaping and cut out about 1/2" wider along the rib and add a second piece on top of the first, etc. I did use birch veneer as the top layer so it looks like the original. As you are doing this re-gluing you will have to keep the section bent very closely in shape to its' adjacent section, or they won't fit together nicely. By the way, if you know the serial number of your Linkanoe, please post it. These are the numbers on the outside of the hull, in dark red paint, usually close to where 4 sections join.

That does not sound to difficult. I will definitely get a copy of Wooden Canoe. My serial Number may have faded away, as I have studied this canoe and not found it yet. I am putting my canoe on water today to see if the canvas is still water tight so I will inspect further, and post tonight.

Good news the canvas is water tight, and floates well. I could not find a serial number. The only place I found any numbers is on the piece with the linkanoe logo. Those numbers are 020-052 and are repeted twice on the same piece of metal on the bottom side.

Where can I find more information on the Linkanoe? I have ordered the "back issue", but it is not here yet. I just got/saved one of these beauties and I have a few questions.

Is this something that I should try to fix up and get on the water? Or leave it be and send it to a museum? Is it that old and rare?

What type of wood is it? The ribs? The seats? The gunwales? The thwart? And the finish? What about the brown plastic stuff? What is that? How best to clean this? And refinish?

What did the carrying bags look like and how did they function? (looks like paddle half is used? Then where do the other two halves go?)

What type of canvas is it? The weight(18 oz, etc)? and how was it waterproofed? Wax canvas? Something else? What material would you use to construct an new "sock"

Where is the serial number? I was told to look between the 4th sections, on the OUTSIDE. I can't see many of the marking inside to help in construction, so I bet mine has been worn off. It is not obvious to me...

Where can I find one half of a buckle? One half is missing on the bow section.

Does anyone have more written information on these? Owners manual? Instructions for assembly? Maintenance? Pictures?!?!?

I feel that the previous owner left the Linkanoe assembled for many years. The ribs are twisted at the buckle joints, not very bad, and there were metal screws drilled into the buckles to secure them! Yes, every buckle has a hole in the metal strap and bracket under it going into the wood ribs... so sad. But secure!! hahaha.

Thank you,

Rob

Does anyone know where I could find linkanoe decals for the center support.
This is a oval decal

Back