Kennebec canoe

oliverbutler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Can anyone tell me how to tell the age of my Kennebec canoe that I'm restoring? It is missing the tag on the deck plate and I cant see a serial number on the stems like an Old Town would have.

It has Heart shaped decks and it has sponsons. I believe it's 17' long. kennebeccanoe.jpg I'm not sure how to post photos on here but I'll try. The grain on the gunwales looks like cherry in some spots and maple in others but there all one piece of wood the whole length. Planked with eastern white cedar. The decks look to be mahogany.

It certainly looks like it could be an open gunwale sponson canoe from Kennebec. These were listed in their catalogs from 1920 to 1928. The open gunwales were not mentioned prior to 1920 and they introduced the "invisible sponson" in 1929. You can get your own set of these catalogs from http://store.wcha.org/The-Historic-...pany-Catalog-Collection-Version-2-CD-ROM.html if you want to investigate this further. Another option is to search here and on the web for Kennebec sponson to see how closely the ones shown there with known serial numbers and dates compare to yours. Are there any signs of nail holes on the bow deck from a tag like the one shown below? Let us know what you find or if you have other questions. Good luck,

Benson

Attachments

• K-18904.jpg
    K-18904.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Back