Keels Varnish or Paint?

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi, this is more a question on people's preferences rather than one of whether should a canoe have a keel or not. That topic as been debated many times before.
I'd like to know what people think about, when you are adding a keel to a cedar/canvas canoe, should you paint it when you do the canoe or is there merit in varnishing the keel?
I myself have always added the keel after painting the hull and I varnished it. When the canoe is in use it doesn't matter as its hidden underwater, but when turned upside down I like the look of the keel matching the outwales and other woodwork. I've been doing it this way for over 20 years and had no negative effects on the keel such as having it rot, or leaking, etc.
Just interested in knowing your thoughts?
Gary

Attachments

• DSCN4080.JPG
    DSCN4080.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 66.JPG
    66.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 22
I've always painted keels because it seemed traditional and because early on I heard people say that paint holds up better. Now with lots of years in wooden canoes I don't think this is the case - both paint and varnish get scuffed from use and need to be touched up if you really want to keep water out of the wood. In any case, your varnished keels look great.

With all that said, I always varnish outside stems. Sometimes I see them painted, and it always seems like such a shame not to highlight the contrasting beauty of that varnished wood with the painted hull (plus varnishing outside stems seems to have been a common practice among many builders).

Like Michael, I paint the keel and varnish outer stems if on exists.
I like to get one coat of paint on the hull before I fit the keel. That way the keel/hull joint is sealed wit 3-4 more coats of paint. I usually prime it a coat or two to help fill in the wood grain.
On my very first restoration 25 years ago, I stripped and varnished the keel. Looks cool, but the only people that see it are those that gawk on the highway. Anyway, I feel like the paint is tougher and that why I don’t varnish them.
Also like Michael, when I see an outer stem that’s painted, even though it was probably painted from the factory, I’m disappointed.
When I look at a canoe, my eyes go directly to the stem profile. I just love the accent of a beautiful hardwood on that profile.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpeg
    IMG_1675.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the feedback, and Mike I hear the traditional side of painting the keel but I think here in Canada it is less often done than in the States, with some varnishing them.
Dave I agree with your thoughts on the additional coats of paint to ensure no leaks. I always cringe when after going to great lengths to get a nice tight, filled, and painted canvas to then drill 18 or so holes in it. to add the keel.
I've always made the bottom of the keel with a slight concave to create a better area for the bedding compound, and ensure a good seal to the painted canvas to ensure no leaks.
A nice part of restoring these old craft is that we can have different approaches to the process, learn from each other along the way, hopefully with the same result, back on the water enjoying them for what they were made for, paddling.
Gary

Back