Just put a deposit on 179246, what did I buy?

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
I'm guessing a late 60's 17' OTCA.

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

• 179246-1.jpg
    179246-1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 220
Congratulations, the Old Town with serial number 179246 is a 17 foot long Otca model with a keel. It was built between October, 1967 and March 1968. The original fiberglass exterior was painted dark green. It shipped on March 11th, 1968 to Vestal, New York. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the thumbnail image attached below.

179246.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description don't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Bought it - solid canoe except for punctures in the planking which were "repaired" with very ugly fiberglass patches.
The original decal has a scratch on it, but is otherwise in great shape, seats were expertly re-caned (not press cane), inwales and out-wales will need minor sanding.
Even the varnish inside is in good shape.

Keel is chewed up, and since it's got a fiberglass covering I will probably remove it as I did with my 1944 Yankee (fiberglass in the 80's) and my 1934 15' 50lb model (Dacron last year)...just more holes to leak.

Not going to do anything with it until I return from the Assembly - hopefully with planking.
otca 2.jpg
otca 1.jpg

Hey...that's my current set up...Taco with TracRac....! Is that the short bed?
Nice project.

6' bed. Had similar rack on my 2001 Nissan and loved it.
Gave the canoe a good looking over today and it's in better shape than I thought.
I'm not a craftsman and my "restorations" are 10/20's (a 10 at 20 feet), but I'm a paddler - not a collector.
Will likely sell this when done, can't fit 17' in my garage without major reconfiguration.

Okay, the guy who said he wasn't ever going to restore another wood canoe has already removed the fiberglass and assessed the planking situation.
Since I'd rather put more new wood in than try to patch it up I'm going to replace at least 65 linear feet of planking and 4 ribs.

I only removed the worst of the planking, will remove more when I've replaced what I've taken out already.

Not sure what possessed me to buy this boat...but I am committed to it now.
20170705 (10s).jpg

A slight thread drift but here's my Taco..also a 6 foot bed..with boatzilla on board.....
IMG_20170707_112233997.jpg

You are NOT going to need a bigger boat (Jaws reference....)

Decided to sell the 68, have it posted on Craigslist - don't have the enthusiasm I did when I was restoring a canoe for myself.

It's a really nice boat and an easy restoration, but my heart isn't in it.

Back