John, new canoe owner

Hi Gil......I know lead can be tough on the nerves , but I think the hatters were having their problems because of the mercury used in treating the beaver pelts used in the making of a luxurious beaver hat. No OSHA in those days .
Dave
 
Dolphinite is the defacto standard but I'm sure there are alternatives. It will dry out in the can, so I tend to buy smaller amounts. Chandler has a very healthy website......that could save you that 2 1/2 hour drive, although Ottawa is a nice visit this time of year.
 
Mike, mine has in the past, was told to put some linseed oil on top. So far so good, man that stuff is expensive....
 
Mike, mine has in the past, was told to put some linseed oil on top. So far so good, man that stuff is expensive....
Sage advice.... I put it into plastic bags and remove as much air as I can from them. Yes, wicked expensive.... it will make you sad to open a can, use it once, come back to it a year later and find it as stiff as your mother in laws mashed potato's.
 
Well I finished the sanding, painting and varnishing (gunwales only - the interior was in good condition) and I am pretty pleased with the result. The paint job is far from perfect but it is fine for my purposes. IMG_9261.jpegIMG_9260.jpeg
 
Hi John, I use a lagging compound called Bakor 120-09. There are a number of us who use this and after dozens of canoes I've never had any issues. If you've ever seen a Pam Wedd canoe and the finish she was able to get using this process then you'll know it works. One benefit is its drying time, ready for painting after about a week.
I buy a 5 gallon pail for about $330 Canadian which I then get about ten canoes out of.
If you're interested get back to me via my email and I can send you the instructions on how to use it and where you can purchase it in Canada?
Gary
 
I see Gary is using the Bakor 120-09. I have a small quantity of this product which I’m about to cover an11 ft canvas canoe what is you method for application. I’ve been told a 4-1 dilution with water for the first coat? How many coats? How much would I need for this size canoe and where can I get a bit more?
 
Hi Paul, sorry for being a bit late but please send me a personal email through this site and I'll send you the info you're looking for.
I follow a procedure given me by Pam Wedd who uses the Bakor filler and if you've ever seen her canoes you'll know they are some of the best finishes around. I can't achieve her results but I'm still happy with it.
Gary
 
Back
Top