Is this Old Town interior "too red"?

Hungry Jack

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am seriously considering buying this 1920s era Old Town but am struggling with whether I'd be happy with the finish of the interior on it:

http://qotca.blogspot.com/

What does everyone think? In general, I prefer an authentic look, but my eye is not as well trained as the rest of you on this board. What do you think of the look of this one?

And any other comments about the canoe would be GREATLY appreciated.

Or perhaps "orange"...

I agree with Bill. I think we've all lived with and used canoes that weren't the way we really wanted them, until the time came to re-do them. But if the seller represents this canoe as a restoration and is asking a lot, you may want to keep looking until you find something that pleases YOUR eye, aside from the nice lines of the Otca.

Kathy

I would encourage you to look at this canoe in person if you have not already. I have frequently been amazed at the differences between a real canoe versus pictures. Gil's usual comment is that all pictures lie but occasionally this means that pictures make it look worse. The picture attached below was sent from an auction house and the interior appeared to have been painted. I almost skipped the auction because of this but it was just a poor picture. The canoe interior now looks like http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6388&d=1225895969 after the old varnish was removed. The odd color in this case may just be some bad pictures.

Benson

Attachments

• 50lbs-1.jpg
    50lbs-1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
While the red is different from the boat's original state, I can't really say it bothers me all that much. It's still a pretty nice looking canoe. If the price was decent and the workmanship looked good up close, it likely wouldn't stop me from buying it. Who says there is only one way to do these things and anything else is wrong?

Lots of different opinions... what matters is yours. People do all kinds of things in the name of "restoration", some of which some people like, some of which some people don't.

Personally, I don't like wholesale staining jobs like this at all, particularly when filler stains are involved. I once heard someone say "Oh yeah, you can make anything look good with enough stain." I don't think so! Natural wood (vanished) is beautiful, and the differences in color and grain among different species can be spectacular. Filler stains are designed specifically to kill such differences, to even out the tone of the wood. This canoe is red all over because it's had that Chris Craft red mud slathered all over it. No more mahogany, red cedar, white oak, etc.... it's all just Chris Craft red now.

What's more, these filler stains aren't simple to apply. Without good technique, it's easy to end up with a blotchy finish even on large expanses of smooth wood (i.e., the hull of a runabout). It should take extraordinary care to cleanly apply and remove excess filler stain from the complicated contours of a cedar-canvas canoe's interior.

Finally, what if you ever wanted to remove it? Will it be possible to get all of this stuff off? Out of the grain and defects in the wood? Out of all the rib-planking junctions and from between the edges of planking?

All this said, what matters is what you like. Know the issues, see it IN PERSON, and make an informed decision. If not this one, keep looking- there are others to be had!

M

I like the smooth, red tone of this canoe. Since it's stained already, if I had the canoe, I don't think I would change the interior.
howard

There you go- different tastes. I hate the "smooth, red tone". It's just not natural, not normal... but that's just me.

Back