Is this an Old Town?

PaulHuxtable

Curious about Wooden Canoes
We are looking at an old canoe for sale that we believe is an Old Town, based on input from the current owner. The serial number, found on the stern, is 17 1024 74. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome, the Old Town with serial number 102474 is a 14 foot long boat so that isn't a good match. The Kennebec canoe with that serial number is 17 feet long which is a better match. Can you provide some pictures of the serial numbers from each end and the interior of the canoe as Todd suggested, especially the bow deck? Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
1000002342.jpg
1000002327.jpg

I found the canoe in a shed. The interior is in fairly good shape but exterior needs some restoration which I'm willing to do. I posted pictures of the serial number I found in the stern and one of the interior. I hope they came through. I'm new on using a forum. Bear with me.
Paul

That looks like a Kennebec from the font and interior. It probably has a heart shaped deck and short rail caps like the one at https://woodencanoemuseum.org/sites/default/files/2020-07/Kennebec deck.jpg for example. The Kennebec canoe with number 102474 is a 17 foot long Kineo Special model as shown on pages 236 and 237 of volume four in the Kennebec ledgers. It was planked by Lane on Janruary 11th, 1930. Grant applied the canvas covering on January 18th, 1930 and the first filler coat on the same day. The second filler coat was applied by Grant on February 8th, 1930. The rails were installed by Johnson on the same day. The "F 22" (Function number 22 or the keel?), The "F24" (Function number 24 or the thwarts?), "F25" (Function number 25 or seats?), "F28" (Function number 28 or the varnishing?), and "F35" (Function 35 or the painting?) were all completed by Giroux on the same day. The original color was green and it shipped to location 30-470 on May 23rd, 1930. This location is probably an order number but we don't currently have enough information to identify it. The scans of these build records can be found below. These original Kennebec records are reproduced through the courtesy of the Maine State Museum.

The microfilms and scans of these records were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA). A description of the project to preserve other records like these is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with the decision,

Benson

KC-102474-a.gif

KC-102474-b.gif

Last edited:
I have only owned one Kennebec. It was a good canoe.
The only thing that stood out (to me) as a flaw was how the outside rails were attached. They were held on by nails instead of screws. The screws used by Old Town do a much better job of holding the rails in place.

Mike…
You are correct on the gunwale nails. It’s easy to destroy a outwale when taking them off.
I borrowed a special prying tool made by Dave McDaniel and it worked slick.
In Paul’s case it won’t matter. His are shot anyway.

It's true that mine are shot. Interesting to know what the tool looks like if you have more info.
Thank you everyone for the info. All of you have been helpful to this forum newbie. This will be an interesting project.
Paul

Paul and Todd
It’s been a while since I used it. Wish I had taken a picture of it. I seem to recall there was an offset of some kind and when pried it pushed the outwale from behind. It fit in between the ribs somehow.
I’ll make contact and see if I can get some photos to share.

Reactions: MGC
Thank you for your help on my project. Another question is that would you recommend to simply clean the accumulated dirt and dust from years of sitting in the shed? I don't want to damage what good wood I'd there on the interior.
Thanks,
Paul

I'd start with a bucket of warm water with Dawn soap and a soft brush. I'd carefully use my power washer but a garden hose will do and it will be safer. Cedar is easily damaged with high water pressure, scrapers and stiff brushes.
You need to clean it out well enough to be able to assess the condition. It looks like (but it's hard to tell for sure) you have many layers of dirt covering the old varnish.
If I were working on it, I'd probably wash it and then strip it.
It's going to need a complete restoration. Getting back down to the wood will allow you to properly re-finish it and make it good enough for the next 100 years.

Back