Is this a JR Robertson deck?

patrick corry

solo canoeist
CC534207-DFD5-4389-862E-84762AD45CB7.jpeg

It's in a Craigslist ad from East Fishkill, NY. Pictures aren't great, though I see no significant issues with the canoe based on what I can see.

There's a good chance. If you are interested in it, you'd best get a jump on it. Posting here with the CL details will bring on some competition.
That looks like a Folsom badge on the deck. Some Robertsons have untapered ribs. The decks look correct.
The thwarts appear to be correct.

Last edited:
Sheer looks awful flat to be a Robertson, and the deck looks more like a Maine deck (a la Gerrish) than a Robertson heart-shaped deck.

With the round medallion, closed gunwales, rails protruding beyond the stems, it could be a Detroit Boat Company (though I don't recall seeing one with heart-shaped decks).

Best go look at it directly.

What he said. I had the same thought about the shear.
It's not obvious what it is but it is very interesting.

I live about 10 miles from East Fishkill and could be convinced to go look at it and even bring it home if someone wants me to. I can't go today but maybe tomorrow, 7/3. PM me .

Jim C.

I asked the owner to supply additional photos of the decks, mostly to identify the round label or tag. This is what he sent:
0BB907E2-0621-4D9B-AB2D-5F1162BA185A.jpeg
87465C9F-8EF7-49DF-9F3D-18C29EF4AB07.jpeg
D80EA72A-E356-4320-BBAB-51FA83157667.jpeg

Abercrombie & Fitch probably sold the canoe rather than built it. The seat caning looks like a Canadian pattern to me.... Chestnut or Peterborough maybe but who knows if that's original. The untapered ribs which are beveled into the inwale look interesting. I don't know if this is diagnostic of a particular builder or regional style. The planking pattern at the gunwale looks somewhat unique as well.

You guys are stinking killing me....since the origin seems unclear is it worth rolling the dice at that price??? Looks solid for what little I know. Is it an uncommon pedigree? Geez I have a lot of homework to do...

I have never owned a Fitch tagged canoe that was either Canadian or built by an obscure builder. That's not to say that isn't a possibility, but it's far from the norm. Most of what they sold was a branded product and more often than not, from a company that was established and advertising. Fitch liked to represent itself as a "premier" supplier.
The lines on this hull do appear to be "Maine ish" as was suggested by Dan. The shaved ribs are often seen on boats built in the early 1900's (or before and not often after that. The un-tapered ribs and somewhat clunky decks don't give much away and there isn't enough of the planking pattern visible to really pin down some of the early Maine builders.
I'm leaning towards this being a hull supplied by a Maine builder who was not one of the better known (there were so many) but one who was influenced by Carleton/Gerrish in their early days. A few pictures of some of the finishing details could help ID it...Stem ends, thwarts, seat and thwart mounting on inside rails etc. Is there a serial number and can we see what it looks like?
Frankly, that no one has stepped up to buy this thing is a bit shocking. It looks like a good enough canoe that does not require any crazy work to restore. Had I not just bought one a few weeks ago, this would have already been up on the top of my truck. Someone needs to buy this before it ends up a bookshelf.

A Caughnawana? Shaved rib ends...the newer model is made lighter. If so, should be mahogany decks, seats, thwarts.
The 1904 AF catalogue mentions such a model as does the 1907.

Last edited:
1916 catalog mentions 'Borden canoes'; a name unknown to me.

This is an interesting discovery. Abercrombie and Fitch were well known for selling canoes from Old Town and St. Lawrence Boat Works as described in the first link below. Morris canoes were featured on pages 156 and 157 of their 1913 catalog at the second link below. Their 1916 catalog description of the Borden Canoes says "F. O. B. New York or Bangor, Maine" which implies that they were being made near Bangor. The 1916 Bangor City Directory at the third link below doesn't list anyone with the last name of Borden. This directory does include Evan Gerrish living at 106 Congress Street as shown https://goo.gl/maps/XAwAoVrZCUpeyFqT7 but his canoe business had moved to Costigan by 1916. Thatcher, Jameson, Gould, and Morris are the best known canoe builders shipping from Bangor during that era. I've not found a reference to anyone named Borden who built canoes in Maine. There was a Charles A. Borden & Son who built canoes at the "foot of Mt. Vernon St." in Dorchester, Massachusetts (where the University of Massachusetts is now located) as shown at https://wcha.org/catalogs/mass-list.htm during that era. This canoe certainly looks like it could have come from Bangor, Maine in the early 1900s but the actual builder and exact age will probably remain a mystery.

Benson

Last edited:
A Caughnawana?
The names Caughnawana (a lake name as well as a hunting club), Mastigouche (a wildlife & hunting preserve), and Peribonka (a town on Lac Saint Jean near Saguenay) are all Canadian. Seems logical to me that A&F might have named their canoe models thusly due to Canadian origin? Just guessing here. Or, they thought Canadian names sounded more unknown to American customers and were therefore just marketing ploys.

The names were a bit of self promotion..AF was offering guided outings to those areas in the early 1900s.
There is nothing about that canoe that suggests a Canadian origin..at least not to my eye. That said, the images we have seen don't expose the details adequately.
Until someone can verify some of the catalog details there is no basis to conclude anything. Rivets and mahogany might help to lock it down.

I emailed the seller when the ad first appeared on Thursday 6/29, to suggest that he contact WCHA to try to identify the builder of the canoe! He didn't reply so I have no idea if he followed up on that....

Jim, great conversation. Glad you picked it up and it will be in good hands. Also, reviewed your Shop Shot comments, very jealous of your digs! Again, look forward to meeting.

Back