Identity of the boat in "Canoeing with the Cree" revisited...

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Just read Eric Sevareid's book, "Canoeing with the Cree", and noticed an old discussion in the archives here re the possible identity of the canoe that took these two young men on their 2250-mile journey. I found on page 67 of the 2004 edition, in describing the canoes at a canoe club, Sevaried states, "There were war canoes, which contain fourteen men, Peterboroughs, Sunnysides, Old Townes, like ours, and Chestnut freighters." And so, it sounds as though he is saying it's an Old Town (just as folks thought in the previous discussion).

I poked around the on-line archives of the Minnesota Historical Society, and found a better picture of the canoe than any that appear in the book.The caption reads, "Eric Sevareid and Walter Port, Central High School students, at the start of their canoe trip to Hudson's Bay
Photograph Collection 6/1930
Location no. GV3.61C p69
Negative no. 95718.

Attachments

• Canoeing with the Cree.jpg
    Canoeing with the Cree.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 626
Hello Kathriyn
I have nothing to add about the canoe model Be interesting to find out I dug out a copy to look at all the pictures in the book. Missed the original post( or do not recall it) Whatever model the Sans Souci was it did them fine service. Is there more pictures on line at the Minnesota Historical Society site?
I have a friend that was raised up in Gods Lake on part of the route that Servereid and Port took.He recommends paddling through that part very beautiful he says.
In the fur days they would travel the Hayes and or Touchwood ,Gods Lake/River as it was an easier time than travelling the Nelson. York Factory is at the mouth of the Nelson and James Bay.
On another note who built the Sunnysides?
Dan

The picture I posted was the only one of Sevareid and Post in the Minnesota Historical Society on-line archives. I had to run a general search, I believe it was "canoe" and the dates 1920-1940 and there was only that one picture. I suppose I could try the Minneapolis Star Tribune archives, as they were sponsors of the trip.

There are many really interesting canoe pictures in the MN Historical Society archives... and if you look waaay back, there are very interesting birchbarks. I tend to invest way too much time poking around when I find an interesting site like this. I'll post an interesting one dated 1925... note the short paddles!

http://www.mnhs.org/index.htm

Attachments

• birchbark.jpg
    birchbark.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 634
Appreciating what Eric and Walt did...

In searching for more information regarding "Canoeing with the Cree", I discovered that many have been, and continue to be, inspired by what these two young men did, and desire to re-create the advenuture for themselves. The link below contains some very interesting information. Checking out the gear these particular modern-day adventurers "need" in order to make the journey makes me all-the-more impressed with what two teenagers did over seventy years ago in what appears to be either an Otca or Charles River!

http://www.hudsonbayexpedition.com/media/pioneer_press_article_20040125.html

In his book Sevareid identifies Sans Souci as an "eighteen foot canoe". From the MHS photo it appears to be an Otca. Look at the size of the duffle amidships - that would be one difficult carry over a portage! Also, what happened to the center thwart?

This post got me reading Canoeing with the Cree again.I found a reference in the book that states."Our canoe was 18 feet long,an American made cruiser model ,with a wide beam and a small keel". Further on he mentions that the centre thwart is missing. A picture of the canoe stuck in the Minesota river shows the canoe with no centre thwart or the front quarter thwart either.An 18 footer should have 3 twarts right? Maybe these can be more clues as to the model type. What 18 ft Olds Towns were considered cruiser models and what 18 footers had only 2 thwarts?Must have been a real pain to portage that canoe!
On another note who built the Sunnysides ?I asked
I ran across a reference to Sunnyside canoes.Seems Brown canoe company (Redfeather)of Lakefield manufactured them so answered my own question.
Dan

They did and actually had a collision with another canoe on a portage trail.Walked right into each other.

Last edited:
Who built the Sunnysides?
“Sunnysides” was built by the builders around Sunnyside beach in Toronto. But most of the time it actually refers to canoes built by Walter Dean and especially his “Sunnyside cruisers” models.

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Back