Hi from the UK

dougoutcanoe

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi All,

I live in the North West of England in a seaside town called Southport about 25 miles north of Liverpool.

I have been a canoeist for about 35yrs. I was lucky that it was my job for several years and I taught and introduced many hundreds of young people to the world of canoeing.

I am retired from full-time work now but still help get young people into canoeing for expeditions.

My cedar canvas canoe is a Huron and is in my shed ready to be restored. She is nearly 18ft long and a little beamier than most canoes at 40 inches. Great to paddle, although I had to apply plenty of gaffer tape to reduce the water ingress.

I'm looking forward to getting her ready to paddle next spring.

I have built several stitch and tape canoes and hope to build a cedar strip sometime (I've got the wood and plans).

Oh, and finally, I am planning a pilgrimage to Algonquin next September, flights booked and sorting outfitters now.

That's all for now,

Doug

Hi Doug
Welcome aboard!
I recognise the name from Sotp.(perhaps we have met but I have an awful memory for names and faces).
I'm currently working on a lovely old Thomas Gordon (we're calling Felix's Canoe) you can't miss my posts as this site is like my second home at the moment.

20161027_141027.jpg

Will be good to see the Huron. Perhaps you could bring her to a WCHA meet in the spring (That's my intention for Felix's canoe).
Cheers
Alick

P.S.

I make strippers between my work as a cabinet maker :)

P1010050.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Doug
Welcome aboard!
I recognise the name from Sotp.(perhaps we have met but I have an awful memory for names and faces).

Thanks Alick,

I can manage faces quite well but sadly names come and go without trace, until I've seen the owner several times.

I'll be posting the progress of my Huron on here and SotP. I may need to ask questions.

My canoe is unusual according to Mike Elliott, who, when I gave him the dimensions was surprised and had never come across one so big. He has given me some ideas about the outwale that has been replaced at some time by a plain piece of ash, screwed in with stainless steel square drive screws.

My first job will be to give the inside a good wash then remove the pvc skin. What I then come across will all be new to me. I know some planks and ribs need replacing but that's as far as I know for now.

Your stripper looks gorgeous!

Doug

Thanks Doug
My stripper has done 6yrs of paddling and still looks almost new :)
I often ask questions even when I think I know the answer.Then if its an answer I don't want to hear at least I have someone else confirming my worst fears :)

Pvc skin err has she been glassed inside or something??

Have you any pictures?

Cheers
Alick.

Hi Alick,
The skin is, I believe, Verolite, definitely plasticky. Yes, it is one of my worries that it may be harbouring wood consuming nasties.
As far as I can ascertain it is in "as produced" make up apart from the outwale. It was fitted by the UK Nova Craft suppliers for the previous owner and it looks wrong.

3128459987_0d538415fa_o.jpg

26657426494_ef58b64a94_b.jpg

Doug

Attachments

• 3128459987_0d538415fa_o.jpg
    3128459987_0d538415fa_o.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 512
Hi Doug
Nice pics.Just read a little about verulite and I don't envy you .Hopefully ey it will come off without too much damage. Yes those Outwales do look a bit clunky.Perhaps they just need a bit of refinement like a bit of shaping and tapering.

Cheers

Alick

Sorry I put this in the wrong place so have just moved it.

Attachments

• 20161203_152840.jpg
    20161203_152840.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 535
  • 20161203_152820.jpg
    20161203_152820.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Hey Doug,
Well, you've connected with Alick, and hopefully Nick Dennis (WCHA Chapter Head for the UK) will chime in.

Hopefully you have also considered booking your Algonquin trip to allow you to attend the WCHA Annual Assembly July 11-16. More info about 2017 will show up at;
http://www.wcha.org/annual-assembly/

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'd love to join in with the Annual assembly but 2017 is booked and busy. Maybe 2018??

I've fitted in Algonquin with 3 friends for early September.

I have met Nick Dennis on a Song of the Paddle canoe meet in Scotland last year.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Great to see that you have found the forum. I will be attending the 2018 Assembly which as Rob says will be Chestnut Canoes. Good luck with your project and keep us posted on progress. May see you at UK Canoefest in 2017 or indeed the Canoe Symposium in the Lake District in a years time.

All the best.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The Huron is sitting idly in the shed and awaiting me to get started (starter motor trouble!:confused:). But I will get started soonish.

I hope to get to the symposium and probably UK canoefest and all being well 2018 assembly.

Great to have met you at Loch Ken last year.

Doug

Back