help with identity please.

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hi

Can anyone identify this canoe for me - or give some suggestions to be going on with? I have no idea of sizes until I go and pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks

Sam

marple canoe2.jpgmarple caoe4.jpgmarple canoe5.jpg

Thanks. My thoughts were with chestnut and I don't pay a lot for anything - except maybe shoes.
What are the signs of salt water corrosion?

Sam

What are the signs of salt water corrosion?

Sam

The white or light-colored blooms around each tack holding the planking to the ribs. Salt water removes the zinc from the brass alloy of the tacks, leaving a very weak fastener if the exposure to salt water has been lengthy. Inspect closely -- it is not uncommon that all affected fasteners have to be replaced.

An historical boat can be worth the effort, but otherwise, there must be some other special and compelling reason to deal with the " fastener disease " issue. I am completing one at the moment and I have learned more about me than anything else with this one ! Wet your finger , swipe the halo , go to tongue, and OYE ! Press the plank inside with your thumb , where a tack is in the rib. Do a few at different locations especially where you suspect water has sat. If you hear little snaps, the tack shaft has let go and you have no fastening. Varnish separating under the rib at the plank contact can sound similar, but you will see and feel the plank loose at the interface. When and if you strip it be gentle or you may end up with parts all over the floor. GOOD LUCK and buy the big bottle !

After all these posts of doom and gloom, I travelled half the length of the country to look. The 'white spots' are just where the cedar has dried out and having given a good few planks and nails close inspection and pushing and pulling there is no sign of weakness in the fastenings. The boat travelled home with me.

Over the weekend, some the uk chapter were at the Beale Park Boat show near London and I had a chance to compare my new boat with that of Nick Dennis. His is exactly the same dimensions and the differences are that my outwales are oak fastened with square drive screws and his look like probably ash with straight slotted screws, his decks are heart shaped, mine are semi circular, Nicks has brass painter rings and mine are steel. The real coincidence is the serial numbers - my boat seems to have been 35 later off the form.

I now have a new project to keep me busy for a couple of months - bring on the varnish stripping!DSC01588.jpgDSC01565.jpg

Back