Has anyone tried this?

ken mueller

Canton, Ohio
I am in need of some mahogany to replace the decks and thwarts on my BN Morris canoe. There are a lot of flea markets and yard sales in my area, I am thinking of looking for a mahogany dresser or large table to plane and use for material. Has anyone tried this? I am also looking for a supplier for this wood as an alternative. I do have one flyer from Boulder Plywood Corp. One last question... Philippine or Honduran? Thanks, guys!

Most of what you will find in furniture will be a thin veneer of mahogany over some other wood. Further, the glues used for veneering are not usually even water "resistant," never mind water proof. Unless you otherwise haunt them, I think you would be wasting your time in flea markets looking for the solid mahogany you need for thrwarts and decks.

Ken, ever deal with Keim Lumber company in Charm, OH? I've heard good things about them - helpful, good variety, long lengths available. I'm going to be buying some spruce from them I think to build a floor rack here pretty soon.

-zach

There are a whole bunch of mahoganies that get lumped into those two categories, sometimes inaccurately, but you generally want Honduran for structural parts as it's quite a bit stronger and quite often better colored.

Greg Nolan said:
Most of what you will find in furniture will be a thin veneer of mahogany over some other wood. Further, the glues used for veneering are not usually even water "resistant," never mind water proof. Unless you otherwise haunt them, I think you would be wasting your time in flea markets looking for the solid mahogany you need for thrwarts and decks.
Thanks, Greg. Shows how much I know about furniture!

Zach said:
Ken, ever deal with Keim Lumber company in Charm, OH? I've heard good things about them - helpful, good variety, long lengths available. I'm going to be buying some spruce from them I think to build a floor rack here pretty soon.

-zach
Zack, I've heard of them, let me know how you like them. Where the heck is Charm anyway?

Todd Bradshaw said:
There are a whole bunch of mahoganies that get lumped into those two categories, sometimes inaccurately, but you generally want Honduran for structural parts as it's quite a bit stronger and quite often better colored.
Thanks, Tod. Honduran seems to be a bit more expensive, guess you get what you pay for.

Materials

Ken,

Just north of you, Hartville, is a great lumber company that can supply what you want...Hartville Lumber. They supply our small boat building club in Cleveland and offer a 10% discount. Let me know, I can work this out for you.

Ric

Ric Altfather said:
Ken,

Just north of you, Hartville, is a great lumber company that can supply what you want...Hartville Lumber. They supply our small boat building club in Cleveland and offer a 10% discount. Let me know, I can work this out for you.

Ric
I guess I can't see the forest because of the trees... I live in Hartville!!!! Thanks, Ric.

Back