Halo around resin cloth patches

alick burt

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello
I am currently re modelling my 15 year old glass and rain covered strip canoe.I am doing repairs to dents,planing off the keel (which I have decided I no longer want),re-shaping outer stems and generally doing anything to improve its overall clunky heavyness.At the time I made it I was just making my first boat so was less aware of how things should be etc.
In the past I have done repairs to the glass on this and other boats and where the patch repair is I always seem to get a halo effect around it where the cloth at the edge of the repair meets the cloth of the patch and the surface is feathered down to the wood.If you can imagine it's like layers of strata in sedimentary rock where an edge shows the different layers.
I am wondering is there a way to make this line around the repair less visible?
Am I doing it right?
Should my feathering perhaps be over a larger /smaller area?
Or is it that my resin is not right in some way.(I often dont know what resin was used on someone else's boat so maybe it's the difference between the two?
I suspect its an inevitable consequence of a patch but if anyone has any answers it would be great to know.
I dont have any pictures to hand but know it will most likely happen again on the patch I am about to do so thought I would ask beforehand.
Many Thanks
Alick

Back