H B Arnold Canoe

DocRoss

This H B Arnold canoe has been in my family for years, at least dating back to the 1930s. I think I remember my dad saying that it used to belong to a John Champney, but I am not sure.

The stem says 16 635, and the brass nameplate has the H B Arnold name. I will post photos.

Does anyone know what the approximate age of the canoe is?

I am a new member, and not sure if I have posted to the correct forum.
Thank you. David Ross Hopkinton New Hampshire

Attachments

• Bow seat and thwart copy.jpg
    Bow seat and thwart copy.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 283
  • Bow stem 16 635 copy.jpg
    Bow stem 16 635 copy.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Nameplate copy.jpg
    Nameplate copy.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Stern deck of canoe copy.jpg
    Stern deck of canoe copy.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Stern decking copy.jpg
    Stern decking copy.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Stern of canoe copy.jpg
    Stern of canoe copy.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 291
Arnold

DocRoss:

That is a very nice canoe. The serial no. doesn't tell us much about Arnolds because there are no surviving records, although if he numbered his canoes consecutively, a member found an Arnold with a autograph under the canvas with a date and the canoe had a serial number. So maybe your canoe was built a bit before 1916.

See this thread:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=2692&highlight=Arnold

Arnold canoe

Thanks for the reply. My grandad bought a camp in Antrim, NH, in 1925, and I think that the canoe came with the camp. We have back rests that fit in between two ribs, one leaning against the forward thwart, the other against the aft thwart. There are also 4 pillows, and we have often paddled the canoe with two "gentlemen" paddling and two ladies facing each other sitting on the pillows.

I think that there originally was a sun-canopy for the ladies, but it disappeared before my time.

You have a wonderful canoe with great history! I'd love to see pictures of the pillows. Thanks for posting these pictures, and welcome to the WCHA!

Kathy

Back