Got a question on IG

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
I just aquired a new project here in the kingdom of derelict canoe whisperings and it is a Rushton Indian Girl 16' ser. 3020. I got it from a wcha mamber and am looking forward to the restoration. But I have a question. The canoe had been worked on before. The inwales seem to be maybe original but if that's the case then the canoe would have been open gunnel and that doesn't seem right. The inwales are very rotted and mostly dust, but they aren't pocketed like my other IG. The current depth from floor plank to top is 11 3/4" . So maybe it was given replacement inwales which have now rotted? The previous canoe work included spacers added to fill the space between ribs. I'll guess that the restoration was long ago and I should make it back to closed gunnel?

Did Rushton make open gunnel Indian Girls. This is an 'Inc" canoe. I can't add a photo just yet. Turns out my cell phone photo is png and i can't use png. I'll take a photo with the camera and jpeg if deesired.

Ig

the photo I have is the wrong type for the forums? I think. I'll try again. It says png is an anvalid file. I'll have to take a pic with the canon tomorrow.

Macky, is your open gunnel Rushton an INC? I really thought these inwales were original. I have no clue as to what the outwales would have looked like. I would guess similar to a closed gunnel but with a rabbet? AS i look at this more I may come up with further clues.

Both of my Inc. IG's are open rail boats. One is a long deck boat and the other has short decks. The rails are not pocketed. Presumably your boats also has half ribs?

photo

Here's the photo. I'm beginning to believe I have an open gunnel IG. That makes things much easier. Is the outwale the same profile? And is the Outwale Rabetted?

Attachments

• IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 217
IG 3020 would be an earlier INC canoe. Based on the IG database, it should have the thin outside rail and rail caps.

True open gunwale IGs don't appear until after serial number 5000.

thank you

thanks Dan, I'll have to research thin outside rails and rail caps. And also thanks for adding png formats. here's a photo from my 'smart phone'.

Attachments

• rushtonIG.jpg
    rushtonIG.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 226
Hi Dave,

Your inwales are most likely original.

The ribs were nailed to it just like an OT open gunnel. They they nailed the rail cap top and side much like a Morris.

I've attached a picture of a very early (1901) IG with the gunnel system you most likely have.

I can get better pics and dimensions if you'd like.

Paul

Just for fun I've attached a picture of the IG from the early 20's being paddled by the Grand and Great grand children of James Fennimore Copper. The IG is the on in the back and the one in front is my 1900 canvased Indian.

Attachments

• 17' IG Rear seat .jpg
    17' IG Rear seat .jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 17' Rushton 1r.jpg
    17' Rushton 1r.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IM001993.jpg
    IM001993.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 238
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 220
Thanks paul, these are helpful and i've saved them for reference. Would the top cap cover the inwale and outwale? or does the outwale cover the edge of the top cap? Not sure..And are they 1/4"?

Hi Dave,

I meant to get back on this sooner.

They are about 1/4 inch and come together much like the caps on a Morris. I'll try and remember to get a close up later today.

Paul

thanks Paul, this is quite helpful. I'll need to get as many correct specs as I can. My other IG was closed gunnel and pocketed inwale.

Hi Dave,

Here are pictures of the outside and inside of the gunnel.

The top cap is 1 1/2 inches at it's widest to cover the inwale and the rib tops and of course tapers at the ends.

The outside cap is 7/8" and meets the edge of the inwale and top cap. It too tapers at the ends. Both are 1/4" and have a small chamfer you can barely see in the pictures. This is very similar to the Morris caps.

These appear to be made of spruce.

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• 0630150637.jpg
    0630150637.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 225
  • 0630150637a.jpg
    0630150637a.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 211
Back