Gas Mileage

Mark Z.

LOVES Wooden Canoes
There was a post some time ago inquiring about what happens to gas mileage when transporting a canoe.
I recently drove about 1900 miles. Half of it without a canoe and the other half with a Yakima rack and a 17 1/2 canoe on top. Mileage went from 33.3 to 26.7 mpg, a loss of about 6.8 mpg or 20.3%. The car was a Toyota Camry. Your experience may vary.

I normally carry two canoes up. My experience with two canoes on a Volvo wagon results in a nearly 30% decrease in gas mileage.

mileage

My Subaru gets ~22mpg with an empty roofrack on it, and ~18mpg when I'm towing the trailer with 4 canoes.

Ya, I would expect the larger decrease (like you guys are reporting) with little cars like that, as it doesn't take much to move them down the road and even a little increase in drag will be a larger percentage.

While I don't have documented numbers, on our old mini-van, even with 2 canoes up top, I dought the MPG dropped by more then 1 or 2, and with the full size van, (E150) I hardly knew they were up there.

I'll be interested to see that happens now that I got a truck,
2004 1/2 ton Chev 4x4.

Dan

mpg

Now that I think about it, my old Honda Civic got ~37mpg empty, and ~30mpg with the canoe on top, with a stiff headwind. Wind direction made a huge difference with that car, further supporting Dan's hypothesis...

Ya, but Dave,

Is that because of the canoe on top or because you are driving faster due to the anticipation of a paddle or new project? :)

Dan

Back