Found one finally, '59 Otca

wanderlustjake

Beginner Canoeist
Hi All,

After looking for a while and lurking here off and on, we finally bought our first canoe, a '59 Otca. We are excited to say the least. We found out it was a 1959 Otca, with design #37, originally bought in Pittsburgh with the generous help of Kathy Klos.

It appears to be in very good shape, it was 'glassed at some point. One of the gunwhales has issues at the very tip, and it needs a touch up in spots with varnish. What's the best way to address those issues? We want to use it this year (which I think we can with min. work), I'll do a full re-varnish sometime in the future.

I'm curious, are there many members in the Detroit metro area? We are looking forward to becoming members and participating (rather than lurking) here on the forums.

pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20070216@N06/sets/72157626241296165/

Jason J.

Last edited:
Hi Jason-- It's great seeing pictures of your canoe-- congratulations! Nice to see you here in the forums, too.

I meant to tell you about a book you and your wife would probably enjoy-- Sue Audette's "Old Town, Our First Hundred Years", which is available through the WCHA store and most booksellers, eBay, Amazon, and public libraries.

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you for the book suggestion, I bought a copy and about 1/4 of the way through. Interesting reading.

Jason

SE Mich

I've had visits with several. the Quiet Water Symposium is a good kick off. It's the first Saturday in March. The local chapter is having a paddle in April that I am hoping to attend. You can get the specifics on the home page here. good folks. We keep in touch via email and facebook too. I am generally around and enjoy visits.

Hi Jason, Yes, there are members all over MI. Our first event is at our President's (Ken Kelley) cabin in Branch MI on April 23rd. We will be canoeing the Muskegon River June 3-5th. Staying at oldlogresort.com. If you need more info you can contact me at mdarga@comcast.net

We'd enjoy having you join us.

Mike

Hello, my name is Dave and I'm a Canoe-a-holic !

I would like to welcome you to our support group !

We understand you needs and desires, there is no cure !

But fellowship with others with this addiction, SEEMS to help !

Again WELCOME...........Dave:D

Back