Found another Chestnut!

Easternrivers

Traditionalist
But not sure of the vintage or model. I'll post stats. on Monday.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 281
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 308
Looks like one of those nice little boats that are handy for poking-around in little lakes and rivers. Nice find.

Looks like another Chum! They are coming out of the woodwork these days. From the stick-on label it might be from the 1970's.

The fiberglass appears to be coming off easily, that's the good news.

Just a curiosity question - was the planking pattern the same for all Chestnuts or was there perhaps different patterns for different models and or years. If there are differences, perhaps that would help date or define the models. Just a thought.
Denis

Looks like another Chum! They are coming out of the woodwork these days. From the stick-on label it might be from the 1970's.

The fiberglass appears to be coming off easily, that's the good news.

It does look like a Chum....stick on label says Fredricton so assuming this must mean that canoe was built before factory moved to Oromocto....so likely early 70s at latest....

You will soon find out that there is an old Chestnut in need of repair around every corner in the Maritimes. If you come across a canoe in need of too much work, always remember they will likely be another available next week :)

Jamie

You will soon find out that there is an old Chestnut in need of repair around every corner in the Maritimes. If you come across a canoe in need of too much work, always remember they will likely be another available next week :)

Jamie

Indeed...
I was in a shop the other day where they were rebuilding a nut..70's vintage...not too special, a real mess. My thought was that I would sell mine to the owner for far less than they are going to pay to repair the one they own. Mine is 100% original and in fine shape, no repairs needed (not for sale though). PNuts are around and often in really fine shape.
But, it's good to see boats getting saved instead of being burned or turned into shelves. Someday even these will become scarce.

Here's the stats. as best I can figure...
14ft. L.
30in. wide gunnel to gunnel. maybe abit wider at the turn of the bilge.
12 to 12.5in. deep(from face of rib to top of gunnel?)
Ribs: 1.5in w. x 1.5in. spacing.....I forgot to check the rib thickness
Bow Height: about 20in.

I stripped the interior of my Chestnut Playmate/Fox (whatever) this weekend.
I found a ser. number under the grime stamped on the stern stem.....ser. number 37004.
I know numbers don't mean alot on Chestnuts, but I think it's cool that it's there.
Any chance of a record for this number?
See the pics at head of this thread for a visual.

Back