Finnaly got a canvas canoe

MikeC

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I come to this BB often and just read the posts and I finally get to post something.I am in Arizona on vacation and I was checking Craigslist in NY where I live and found a really nice canoe for sale.I emailed the guy for days trying to buy it and he finally wrote back.I had my father drive over and pick it up this morning.The boat is in excellent condition but I dont have a clue who made it.Can anybody tell from these pics?

Thanks
Mike

01161201040801030120080221103565769.jpg

01020001031001040920080221234026315.jpg

01021101160601040520080221e1c50ee32.jpg

010209011600010303200802218ec3c8db6.jpg

I havnt even seen the boat in person yet,I am still in Arizona untill Sunday.I am not sure about the hardware or any markings yet.

Mike

The best part is that I got it for $300.00 and according to my father it is in excellent condition.

Mike

From the pictures I see on the net,The breast hooks look exactly like the Carleton ones.I will have to look for numbers on it when I get home.

Mike

Last edited:
Where would the serial number be on a Carelton Canoe? I am pretty sure it's a Carleton.

Mike

I believe the serial number is on the inboard upper face of the stem, as with Old Town canoes... look on the floor of the canoe, below the decks. The numbers are possibly filled with paint, but may be found my scraping... or you may have to remove some paint to find them.

The canoe identification guide on the dragonfly site may give you more information that will help you i.d. your canoe. Click on "Carleton" on the left hand side.

http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/index.html

When you find the serial number, post it on "serial number search" and we'll see if the build record matches your canoe. The Carleton catalogs are also on CD, so if it's a Carleton, we can find pictures of it in the catalogs too.

Smile! You have a nice old wood/canvas canoe!

Kathy

I couldnt find any numbers but looking at the pic's on the Dragonfly site I would definately say it's a Carleton.

Mike

It sure would be nice to find a serial number, as Carleton is one of only three of the old canoe companies where the serial number can be connected to the original build information. This would provide you with dates of construction and details such as the canoe's model and original color.

Sometimes the numbers can be found by gently scraping the stems and then wetting the area and standing so the light hits it "just right". Using a digital camera will sometimes enhance the numbers. The serial number should be on the stems at both bow and stern... so check both areas.

The heart shaped short deck was commonly used-- your canoe may not be a Carleton after all. Old Town parts are often used to repair any type wood/canvas canoe, which can confuse the issue. If you post more pictures, maybe someone will have another suggestion or maybe it can be confirmed as a Carleton.

Sometimes stems are replaced and numbers lost, and all we can do is guess as to age and builder.

Back