Finally Finished the Racine!

Scotty

Curious about Wooden Canoes
After quite a few years of languishing in my garage, the Racine is finally finished. Many thanks to those of you who have answered my many questions along the way. New stems, rub-rail, decks, canvas, and a few ribs. To be sure there are a few flaws, but overall I am happy how it turned out. I thought I saw someone who has recreated some of the decals, I'd like to find one of those at some point. 20220327_112653.jpg 20220327_131024.jpg 20220327_112653.jpg 20220327_131024.jpg 20220327_131038.jpg canoe restoration 001.jpg canoe restoration 007.jpg canoe restoration 010.jpg

Oh, that's nice. Impressive work. I with I had more wood skills, but I don't.

A few questions: Are the decks the same length? It looks like the bow's might be a tad longer, or is that a camera illusion? I've never been in a canoe with long decks. Are they to shed water going over rapids, or are they a structural or esthetic thing? Sure are perty. When we were first married and younger, my wife and I went down the Roloff-Jansen in New York in our Yankee, and we went over a rapids that was a wee bit too steep for an open canoe, and when we reached the bottom and the river flattened out, she kept right on going down. It brought on some entertaining shrieks and panic paddles. The whole canoe flooded within two inches of the gunnels, but we kept afloat until we got to shore and emptied it out. Maybe long decks would have been a help to counter our lack of experience? Last question is about the rear thwart: Is that the original position? It looks like it might be in the way of the sitter on the seat, though it looks like it's in an excellent spot for kneeling back against it when you're alone. Ideas?

Oooh, that's pretty.

Hey Mud Bug: The decks are the same length, based on the original decks that I used to make the new ones. They are quite long and the coaming I suspect was to shed water that may come over. Its an old canoe and there is not much information available on it; one of the members here did send me a flier several years ago for this for this particular model. So far as the thwart is concerned, the photo may have distorted the spacing a bit, but so far as I can tell the seats and thwarts are in the same location as when it was originally built, based on the remaining parts and holes through the inwale. Thanks for you comments! It was a fun project but the canoe is very heavy and not well suited for the coastal areas that I paddle (infrequently)

Back