filler for canvas

gouthro

Hello,
I am new to this field and have a question for more knowledgeable folks. I now have the stem of my canoe exposed and things aren't looking quite as bad as they were earlier. I can see where I need to go now and I think I can do it. But, after restoring this canoe, I have been thinking about getting it canvassed by professionals. It looks like a bit of a daunting procedure to me. My question has to do with this step of the process. The company that I am looking at builds freighter canoes for Hudson Bay and other northern areas. Their boats are therefore really strong work boats. They mention in their brochure (and on their website) that they use high density canvas treated with epoxy. As I say, I am no expert here, but in all my reading I have never heard of epoxy used to treat canvas. Does anyone know of this process and any suggestions whether to go ahead or hold off would be appreciated. Here is their website: http://nor-west.ca/en/our-canoes/

thanks G

Some canoe builders (myself included) have filled (or maybe coated) canvas with epoxy. It works, though you want to be careful not to work in the epoxy so that the canvas adheres to the planking.
Costs about the same as traditional filler, and is ready for paint in about 1/10 the time as the epoxy cures much faster than linseed based fillers. Latex based fillers also dry faster. Search out the thread on latex lagging compound if interested.

Some canoe builders (myself included) have filled (or maybe coated) canvas with epoxy. It works, though you want to be careful not to work in the epoxy so that the canvas adheres to the planking.
Costs about the same as traditional filler, and is ready for paint in about 1/10 the time as the epoxy cures much faster than linseed based fillers. Latex based fillers also dry faster. Search out the thread on latex lagging compound if interested.

Thanks for the reply, rob. I saw one of Nor west canoes smaller canoes today. It was a 12 footer and it was a nice looking canoe--but a bit heavy. I can see that as a commercial operation they might be attracted to the quick drying. But, i was wondering if it makes it significantly heavier?
Thanks for the reply
G

No. The weight depends on what weight canvas you use, and how much you saturate it with epoxy, or whatever other filler you are using.

Back