Fairing cedar before canvas?

churchman

Has anyone used a product to fair out the cedar strips before putting on the canvas? My Chestnut is pretty rough. But maybe it doesn't need to be perfectly smooth before canvassing?

In my experience the rasp marks don't show through if that's what you mean, but edges of newly installed planking will. I would not use a faring product except maybe tack holes/divots. I would fair it with a long board. I run my hand over and feel for anything that might show up under canvas. tack heads are the worst culprits.

I use a cedar board about 3" x 24" and glue or otherwise fasten a 3" x 24" belt sander belt of, as course as I can get, usually 40 grit. I have a handle on one of my boards similar to a plane's handle. A longer sanding belt could be used. I think Chestnut may have used farrier's files (rasps?)to take off the high spots. I work the board at about 45 degrees to the plank across the edges. If I had a flexible longboard I'd try it but I don't.

I do what Dave does. I Noticed that Joe Saliga used a belt sander. I think iit might work well if used with care, but it would be easy to overdo. I'm thinking of trying it next time.

Thanks, guys. The new planking will need considerable work, I'm thinking. I hadn't thought of using a long board, even though I used one on a previous kayak. Just reset the tacks as I get to them.

Back