FABER Canoes

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Well........Salvaged a Faber canoe from the woodpile yesterday...its in pretty bad shape, but like Rollin says.....If you can salvage a rib - you can restore it.....so will give it a try in the spring....Does anyone out there have any pictures of Faber Canoes...I found Dan's site where it shows all the models they made, and I found the history of the company ( They are now exclusively snowshoe makers I guess)....Would love to see some pix of them to inspire me....seems to have been well made and I think it has possibilities....Also, kinda curious to know what they sold for new. Thanks

Have a 15foot Faber bought in 1966 by the original owner. He left it on the dune in front of his house on Lake Superior. Sand drifted around it so it has some problems; but I can send some photos if I know what you'd like. I have stripped the canvas. removed some planking, one deck is off [gunnels rotted away], outer gunnels rotted off but I do have pieces, inner gunnels will have to be spliced or replaced, stem tips need some work, several ribs need to be replaced. So let me know. Denis

Thanks Denis....Sounds like mine.......I have a lot of replacing to do also...This one is also a 15'....What has me confused is why they put that thin strip the length of it under the outwale....was it fucntional, decorative, or something someone did after...I was asking for pictures of different models to see if I could spot those on one!

What has me confused is why they put that thin strip the length of it under the outwale....was it fucntional, decorative, or something someone did after

That's almost always done after the fact, when the canvas deteriorates and pulls away from the gunwales.

Also, kinda curious to know what they sold for new.

Depends on which model you have. Circa 1950 (undated catalog 50C) the 15' pleasure canoe Ranger sold for $103, in 1973 it sold for $172.05.

Thanks Dan.......Hmmm!..........not a quality canoe by the sound of those prices!...........BUT.............I guess I will try to fix it....i cant see anything going into the dumpster if it has a chance....may I will fix this one and give it to my grandson in R.I. so he can get used to wanting a canoe instead of a yacht :p

My first restoration was one of these canoes.My wife quit working with me because of the language.This was before I realized there were books to be had and some time before this medium.So it was only fitting I painted it blue to match the air around it.
Even though they were poorly made they do paddle nice and will do all you want.I really use it hard but not abusive great little boats.
If you do give it to your Grandson it will be a yacht.
Dan'l

Back