Esdale Square Back

Hi- I am new to the group but have been canoeing since a youth. I am the proud owner of an Old Town 17' cedar strip my Dad and I restored when I was in high school. I have a question for the group regarding an antique square back canoe I purchased back in 1986. I bought the canoe at a street fair in Folsom, CA from a dealer with a shop on the coast. The canoe is a cedar strip square back canoe made by 'Easdale'- so it says on the aluminum bow-plate. The canoe is 15' 9" long and 39" at the beam; cedar planking and had a canvas exterior. It was made for a small motor and was used as such based on the transom wear. It came with only one rear seat and has two thwarts. It problaby used those portable seats for passengers. I have seen advertisements with canoes like this one in the 1930's era and I think they were used mostly for duck hunting, fishing, and camping. I have in my notes a number from the boat- #100-110; this may be a serial number. Does anyone have any history on this boat and the manufacturer? The restoration is just about complete and I plan to use it as a row boat for lake fishing. Thanks. Chuck (schmidtce@aol.com)

Hi Peter- Thanks a bunch! I found this thread about two seconds after I sent off my question. Other information about that poster someone had advertising Easdale boats would be great to see. All this information make sense considering where the antique shop was located from whom I bought the canoe and where they were made. When I get the canoe finished I will post some photos. Thanks much! Chuck

Back