Early Chestnut Guide canoe

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Posting not so much as a 'look what i got' but more for the 'look at this early one' - early closed gunwale construction, small decks and what seems to be relatively rare half ribs to fill in the floor. Wonderful early lines, lots of tumblehome and a dramatic rise from the 11.5" depth midships. Boat is still in the original canvas but for a large piece torn off by the fellow who sold it. He was working on demolishing a barn in Guelph, Ontario on a contract they had, and this was inside. No telling where they will end up. In all documentation from WT Bush's family I collected, there was a copy of a letter chronicling a canoe that was shipped to Belgium in the 'teens - a lot farther than Guelph of course. Seats directly under the gunwales, copper fastened, tapered ribs, gunwale caps and all the good stuff. Vastly different from (as Dylan puts it) 'the sea of chestnunts' that came from NB in the years since the fire. Just trying to figure out what the brown looking colour might have been.

Attachments

• IMG_5847.jpg
    IMG_5847.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_5852.jpg
    IMG_5852.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_5835.jpg
    IMG_5835.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 526
Sure looks like Thomson was paddling a guide canoe, since “….in July 1915 Tom bought a new chestnut canoe silk tent etc…” and there is no mistaking the sheer on this boat. Additionally, the smaller decks can be seen in the second photograph. With Dick Perssons assistance, this example is identified as from this time period, and positively identified as of Chestnut manufacture.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 345
  • Tom Thomson Canoe.jpg
    Tom Thomson Canoe.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 388
  • tt4-canoeists-campsite.jpg
    tt4-canoeists-campsite.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 361
Before you toss it on the spring burn pile, give the Norumbegas a chance to work their magic!;)

Fitz, in the ad he mentioned "I've seen these made into bookcases" and so on. Just glad he didnt take the initiative to cut it first and try to sell second:eek::eek:

Needs Burgees

Fitz, in the ad he mentioned "I've seen these made into bookcases" and so on. Just glad he didnt take the initiative to cut it first and try to sell second:eek::eek:

Just think how good this will look when you mount up some nice burgees to go with those painter rings.
Start out with a couple nice holes in the decks.

Attachments

• Chestnut Burgee.JPG
    Chestnut Burgee.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Chestnut Flag.jpg
    Chestnut Flag.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 276
Just think how good this will look when you mount up some nice burgees to go with those painter rings.
Start out with a couple nice holes in the decks.

Only if you provide the rings from your collection of take-offs, some suitable examples of which i have included...;)
On a serious note, a photo of Tom which didnt blow up well, out on the lake fishing, showing the same lines. Another shot, previously unknown, of Shannon Fraser and what is credited as Thomsons canoe.

Attachments

• lifting ring.jpg
    lifting ring.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 255
  • lifting ring2.jpg
    lifting ring2.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 265
  • canoe-on-lake-thumb.jpg
    canoe-on-lake-thumb.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Shannon-&-Tom's-Canoe-copy.jpg
    Shannon-&-Tom's-Canoe-copy.jpg