Early EM Whites

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
I have a puzzle. Does anyone have what they have to believe a very early White? If so, does it have a deck plate on it? I have just acquired an early White but it has a deck plate on it. It is a closed gunwale, all thwarts, end thwarts are pocketed and the gunwale ends are leather wrapped. White supposedly moved his canoe building operation to Water Street, Old Town in 1896. If this canoe is early, I am surmising that it was built prior to the move. Then why a deck plate on it with the Water Street address? Hmmmm.

I have one like this. It's got wales extending past the stems, with tips wrapped in leather. It still has its original canvas. It was in the same family for multiple generations since new until I got it, and I have photos of it being repainted over the years in all the colors that are on it, in order. So I believe it is as original as can be; it also has a tag on it, and the tag includes "Water Street".

Yes, photos would really be appreciated! I talked to Rollin Thurlow and he hasn't seen a White without the deck plate, unless the original was missing. He doesn't think many were made pre the water street move.

Back