dunphy canoe

paddles

My brother inherited our grandfather's Dunphy cedar strip canvas canoe, that has suffered from neglect.

Unfortunately, it was stored outside upside down, resting on the ground, so the top rails (sorry, I don't know the terminology) are rotted, along with the ends of the splines,ribs. The canoe was also fiberglassed at some point, which may have protected the body of the canoe, but may lessen the value. It does have the original brass tag with the serial # on it.

My brother wants to sell it, as he does not have the capability of restoring it. There has been some interest in both canoe restorer's and someone who just wants to display it.

Does anyone have a 'wild guess' ballpark as to what would be a range of a fair asking price? (my brother also does not have the ability to post photos...sorry...).

From my description, does it sound like it has any hope of being restored? Thanks in advance!

Based soley on your description and without having seen it, I would venture to say that it is worth alot less than you would think. In the past, I have given $200. for an Old Town as you described, but nowadays I'd run from it because of the 'glass. But any speculation on value opens the speculator to critique. Essentially, you won't know it's actual value til after it's sold. One man's ballpark can vary from another's.

This is a commonly asked question -- you may find the discussion at -- http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth -- in our frequently-asked-questions thread to be of interest. There are a good many variables in determining what a canoe is worth -- condition, maker, size, location.

Based on your description -- pictures would result in a more reliable answer -- the canoe could be restored, but it would be a lot of work.

Dunphy canoes are uncommon, if not rare, outside of the upper mid-west. Rarity doesn't always mean valuable. If you want to get a ball park figure of the value; take lots of photos, list it on Ebay with a very high reserve and a low starting bid. It will cost a little money, but at least you will have some a general idea of value.
From your description, I would guess that is not worth $1000 or more. The brass tag is probably worth at least $25. Somewhere between these two amounts is my guess as to value, and it is probably worth more to a decorator than to a restorer. Yes, it can be restored, no matter how bad it is.

I have appreciated the posts. My husband said we do have photos - which I just found. I will need his help to post them....so stay tuned....

Here's 2 pics, one of the label, it is a bit hard to read because of the firberglass resin on it. Paddles
canoe3.jpgcanoe5.jpg

Dunphy canoes are uncommon, if not rare, outside of the upper mid-west.

Not all that common in the mid-west, either... in all the years I lived in Wisconsin, I never saw one in person. One prominent WCHA member once described a Dunphy canoe as one "only a mother could love..." That particular canoe is now part of the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum collection.

This is an earlier Dunphy canoe - the company moved from Eau Claire to OshKosh sometime about 1930.

Cheers,
Dan

PS and here I though Dave W. was the patron saint of too-far-gone canoes... :D

The Dunphy canoe that Dan refers to was on the cover of an early "Wooden Canoe" magazine. It might have even been an "Indian Girl" model.

The Dunphy canoe that Dan refers to was on the cover of an early "Wooden Canoe" magazine. It might have even been an "Indian Girl" model.

Indeed I am. See attached, as well as pages from a 1923 Dunphy catalog...

Attachments

• Issue017 Cover.jpg
    Issue017 Cover.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Page-14.gif
    Page-14.gif
    242 KB · Views: 251
  • Page-15.gif
    Page-15.gif
    195.6 KB · Views: 232
Dunphy moved from Eau Claire to Oshkosh in 1935. Their factory at Eau Claire was destroyed by fire on 03 May 1931. They did rebuild, but they never could recover financially from the loss. They filed bankruptcy 18 October 1932. I don't know if any production took place during the 1932 to 1935 time period.

I have never heard of an extant Dunphy canoe. So I would guess that your vessel is quite rare.

Andreas

We sure have enjoyed reading all the posts and responses to this canoe and learning of its history. The photo from the wooden canoe magazine was especially fun. Does it look like the one we have is the "Indian Girl" model?

I don't know when Dunphy manufactured canoes, but the Dunphy Boat Corporation at 544 Broad Street, Oshkosh WI built cedar strip, molded plywood, and lapstrake boats until the early 1960's.

Back