Describe your wood needs, please

Thanks Paul,
That is what I figured. Seal the ends and stack it up under cover with pleanty of air space beteen has also been suggested to me. Time to dry would probably be affected by thickness and climate.
Since Thoreau has already been guessed, my guess is Isack Walton.

Two things

1) Paul is correct. Mill first, then air dry.
2) You get as many guesses as you want. Guessing will continue until someone gets it right. Dave W, maybe you should make this a separate thread. If you do I will encourage more Forumites to offer suggestions for an appropriate prize and list it there. I like it that some think this is from Thoreau. Shows we read the same stuff. Good stuff to be reading, too. I sure hope some are avid fans of Edward Abbey and Thomas McGuane as well.

Not

Not H.D. Thoreau, Sig Olson, Zern, Geirach, Raymond, Hemmingway or I.Walton. I know of at least one person in this organization who knows the answer.

Not any of the above ?. It sounds like all of them, but I now guess Norman MacLean.
Cypress ? Hadn't thought of that, but it sure would be a good choice. Problem is, Cypress grows quite a bit further South than my area, and is not available anywhere close that I know of. I do have some Cedars on my land. The wood of these is deffinately red, rot resistent, and aromatic, but I think this is a different species than WRC. It is most commonly used for fences, and pencil manufacture, in this part of the country. I don't know how well it will bend.

Thoreau

I'm gonna guess Tom Thomson, but I think that is a real long shot myself. I think he spent more time painting than fishing.

Thoreau probably wouldn't have warmed his tootsies on varnished cedar. That was after his time. He did spend some time on the Concord and Merrimac Rivers in a boat he built - most think it was some sorta fishing dory design or similar and then he spent time in birchbarks in Maine. I don't think he was much of a fisherman either.

A river runs through it.

I figured because of mention of a lake/pond then maybe not MacLean.
How about Fisher? It's got all the elements. I think that's two votes for Fisher.

And the winner is......

Well, this just keeps getting better and better. Since I will see Paul Klonowski at Canoecopia today, I will end the contest now as I can just hand him the prize instead of mail it. He will have to share it, rightly with Dave Wermuth. Yes, in fact I somehow fancy myself a brilliant writer from time to time and come up with these verbal illustrations; the signature is my own, no part of it inspired by any of the other authors. But, I enjoyed the game and especially enjoyed the compliment of beautiful comparisons to these other outdoor idols. Dave Wermuth, please send your address to me by private email so I can send your prize as well.

NOW please keep your wood lumber and veneer requests coming, I'm still listing.

Splinter
a.k.a. girl who knows when shes' experiencing a perfect moment in time. (Now if I could just find someone to SHARE them with!)

Splinter,
Think of how much better educated most of us are now due to the contest. It was fun, and with such poetry in you, I am sure you will find, or be found. It's just a matter of luck, a series of random acccidents, and being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks

This was fun. Maybe we should have a separate thread that's like a quiz show.... Jeopardy for Wood Canoe people. Oh, wait. The whole Forum is actually like that already. Hey, I made my blade for my crooked knife last night using the info found on another thread. It is AWESOME!!!! O.K. Gotta go to Canoecopia now. Splinter

Greetings, I hope I’m not too late to join the party. Brand new member here. Been canoeless for too long now. After my Dumphy Bluegill restoration, I was told “No more restorations!” but building is still OK. So I need wood, not a lot, just enough for a boat or maybe two. I’d be interested in either some NWC 3X6’s, or a mix of quarter and plain sawn, all rough, either GRN or AD. Also maybe a little 18’ 5/4 AD cherry for gunwale stock. Hanks.

Back