Darrow Camp Canoe

Tariacuri

Chris Fisher, Colorado
I'm going to look at a 16' Darrow camp canoe that - according to the story - was built for Janie Darrow and ended up with a family member. It is supposed to be lighter then the normal tripping canoes. I'm assuming that it will be a Headwaters canoe - some variant of a Chestnut???

Thanks in advance
Chris

Depends on when the canoe is from - Darrow only started buying from Headwaters in 2006. Before that, canoes were built by then-director John Houghton, and before that was a mix of Old Towns, Chestnuts, and local Maine builders. I second the motion for pictures!

Well of course I bought it!!

I think it's actually a post fire Chestnut - wider cant ribs, later deck, hardware, it measures 14' 1" X 33" (inside the gunwales) X 11 1/2". No serial numbers. Weighs 59.7# according to my luggage scale. I think it must be a Little or Peach? Seat bolts are Old Town diamond heads but the canoe is not an Old Town.

It did come from the Darrow wilderness camp - I purchased the boat from a family member.

Pictures tomorrow - I'll be spending the evening in the dog house.

Chris

Last edited:
Presumably that canoe is the one that was on Craigslist for a while? There where numerous pictures included in the add.
The high asking price was rationalized with references to the Darrow history as well as the restoration costs. I checked that out (happen to know some Darrow folks) and that canoe was restored gratis by Rollins shop.
If it's the same one ( and judging by your location it likely is) it looks to be in pretty nice shape.

Hey MGC - I just wrote a reply but lost it. I don't think it's the same boat - and I did not see the one you mention above - I check frequently unless I'm traveling. This boat appeared on Craigslist (Boulder CO) late last week with one picture, no mention of the Darrow connection, and it was listed as an Old Town (A fair assumption given the diamond bolts used for the seats). It has also been refurbished but as butt joints were used to replace rotted inwale tips I don't think Rollin's shop had anything to do with it - it was done by someone in Boulder? I'm posting pics now. Not many wood/canvas canoes appear out here so they stick out like a sore thumb on CL and other places. It was also a pretty fair price I think? Well under 1k?

Chris

Presumably that canoe is the one that was on Craigslist for a while? There where numerous pictures included in the add.
The high asking price was rationalized with references to the Darrow history as well as the restoration costs. I checked that out (happen to know some Darrow folks) and that canoe was restored gratis by Rollins shop.
If it's the same one ( and judging by your location it likely is) it looks to be in pretty nice shape.

Last edited:
And so here are pictures, I can always take more. There is a slit on the canvas associated with the broken rib. My plan is to do a half-baked repair on the canvas and rib and paddle the canoe this summer. Then . . .over winter fix it correctly, probably including the inwale ends, replace 3 or 4 broken ribs, etc., recanvas and get back in shape.

overall.jpg bottom-overall.jpg

Seats attached with Old Town bolts. I think these are standard Chestnut seats and configuration?

seat-1.jpg seat-2.jpg

Decks - again later Chestnut, correct hardware, I think I see a ghost of a decal? Note the butt joint repair to the ends of the inwales - that is going to have to be fixed as I can't stand to look at it.

Chestnut-Peach-deck-2.jpg Chestnut-Peach-deck-1.jpg

And I think these are the earlier post fire wide ribs associated with the cruiser series?

rib-type.jpg

Thwart and center of the boat

Thwart.jpg

Worst of the damage - broken rib associated with a slit in the canvas

broken-rib.jpg

And some inwale damage from the seats - hoping some epoxy will fix this rather then a scarf

inwale-damage.jpg

So . . . . I'm thinking a Chestnut Peach??????

Chris,
I guess it would be rather redundant to say that you must be a happy camper now that you have acquired your long sought after Chestnut. And to have it found close to home!!!! Congrats on your acquisition. Looks like a "Peach" of a boat. Groan, BG

Ed

Back