Copper stem band ?

Wetweasel

WCHA #8341
I was fooling around today and cleaned up one of the stem bands from a 1941/42 OT HW, and was surprised with the color I came up with. Was copper ever used for stem bands or was it just a brass with a higher copper content then I am used to seeing? It's not a big deal, but I would be curious if anyone knew anything about this.

Wetweasel,

I'm taking a stab at this but at this time in history, the war effort used all the brass they could get their hands on which also explains the use of steel tacks on the planking. Your copper stem bands were probably a substitution for the brass or could have been used in a restoration/repair along the way. I have also seen aluminum used.

Hope this helps,

Ric Altfather

Thank you Ric and Michael. I hadn't heard of copper stem bands before so it kind of threw me when I saw the color. I was able to trace the layers of paint on the stem back to the original color so I knew they were original. This canoe was finished in Jan. of 42 so I think it was a little to early for the brass and copper drives of the war. I had the buffing wheels on my bench grinder so I went ahead and polished up an original diamond bolt and a modern replacement. I could tell from the reddish tinge the original had a higher copper content. Apparently the standard mix for brass is 50% copper and 50% zinc, but that the percentages are adjusted to affect strength and (I love this word) ductility. I also wonder if these days the copper percentage is dropped to save money. It's just amazing what you learn working on a canoe.

;) Just to throw in my 2 cents worth, my 65 OTCA has copper stem bands and mahogany outwales..If I remember correctly, Benson Gray stated, that Old Town will build anything you want in your order. Well, thats my donation to your question and I guess others will join in along the way....have fun and remember...." ITs not how many strokes of the paddle it takes to get there, its the JOY that is in the journey"........Blue Viking

OT advertising

Here's the specification of the various OT models from a catalog in the late 30's to early 40's..."bang plates of brass". They also mention copper, etc., which may be they would substitute between brass and copper depending on what was at hand...but brass was standard if they had it.

Ric

Attachments

• page-03.gif
    page-03.gif
    186.5 KB · Views: 301
Thank you all for your input. One of the joys of this project has been all the little things and history that I have learned along the way.

Richard

Back