Completion of my first wood/canvas canoe

Ankle Deep

Curious about Wooden Canoes
All:

Attached is a photo of my recently completed build. The water in interior Alaska is still hard so my initial “splash” was more of a “slush”.

I built the form winter 0f 2019/2020 and the canoe during this past winter’s Covid19 home stay.

To build the form I modified unused plans I had acquired 20 years ago for a wood strip canoe i.e. changed the cross section to accommodate the difference in hull thickness, stretched the length, reduced the rocker, increased the depth and changed the entry lines and shape of the stems. My goal was to end up with a “lake” or “cottage” canoe. Something to paddle on quiet evenings, with room for a kid or a dog in the middle section. Nothing more. I was a little worried I might end up with a pig….but so far I’m relatively happy with the results. I guess I will know more when I have a chance to paddle her this summer.

When folks ask me about the model and/or design of this canoe I draw a blank. So, my question to the group is…did I design a canoe?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-4128.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-4128.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 336
Sure looks like you did to me, and a very nice looking one at that! It reminds me a bit of the shape of my Chestnut chum although I think you have a slightly deeper canoe so more freeboard.
Hope you get to enjoy a paddle soon.
Gary

Looks beautiful, and I vote that you can claim it as your own creation. One of my favorite paddles was through the floes on a tidal river off Merrymeeting Bay in Maine while the ice was breaking up. There were dozens of eagles swooping around and floating on the floes, and perhaps hundreds of ducks stopping by on their way north. If you can't wait, it would probably make a good sled.

Thank you sirs.

Well then...I guess I need a namefor this model. It's just a tad under 16 feet.... "Covid-16" may be an option.

Hmm. Another dating conundrum in the making. The 19 in Covid 19 refers to the date of emergence.
The boat was built in 19/20 so should it be Covid 19/20 - 16 or Vaccine 20-16.
Renowned musician Ted Nugent (that greatest hit, Cat Scratch Fever) has been asking "what happened to Covid 1 to 18?" Will future collectors be looking in vain for one through 18?;)

Based on the picture, I would say you have designed a hybrid canoe/tobaggan. You should put on your parka and snowshoes, harness up the huskies, take her for a slide across the frozen lake and name your creation.

Shelldrake:
Your Atkinson looks great!

I'm thinking Vaccine-16 is in the running. I'm semi-retired but still work part-time from home. It was a long, locked-in winter. The canoe project was a life saver...just like the vaccine.

Back