coaming questions

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Does anyone out there have a photo of a Kennebec with 20" decks? I am finishing up painting my 1939 but it is missing the coaming and rail caps so a photo or dimensions of that in particular would be very helpful. I can not tell, from the shadows on the inwales if they end at exactly the same point. The thickness, height, and how the coaming tapers towards the ends would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Craig

Attachments

• PAGE-10.JPG
    PAGE-10.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 239
  • PAGE-11.JPG
    PAGE-11.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 273
Craig,
I no longer own this canoe so meaurements are out of the question. Here is a photo of the stern end of a Kennebec 3A DeLuxe.

Attachments

• 100_0489.jpg
    100_0489.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 279
Thanks

Thanks guys
Interesting that that boat has a regular short deck under the framing for the long deck.
Craig

These might help, do not know how much is original. The last two are images I pulled from this forum when I was working on the canoe. I no longer have access to the canoe.

Attachments

• MVC-264S.JPG
    MVC-264S.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 231
  • MVC-260S.JPG
    MVC-260S.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 248
  • kennebec4.jpg
    kennebec4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 228
  • kennebec3.jpg
    kennebec3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 249
Photos

Thanks, each one helps a little more. Those decks are all longer than mine although the coaming is probably the same but they don't have separate short rail caps that are missing on mine. It is pretty clear from the shadow where the rail caps end and it looks like there is one more screw hole in the inwale past that which I assume is the last one in the end of the coaming.A picture would sure be worth a thousand words. The first two are the one I an working on and last is rail caps on my 1927 Kennebec but with short decks.Thanks again.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0049_4.jpg
    DSC_0049_4.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC_0054_2.jpg
    DSC_0054_2.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 212
short deck Kennebec

Here is a link to a "canoe photo index" entry showing a Kennebec Katahdin model A-- which also has a link to a video of the same canoe. Dave McDaniel restored this canoe and said another member has the same canoe in the B model, which would have long decks, but I can't recall who that was... probably someone in the Michigan Chapter.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=3986

Thanks Benson.
I have been going back through the catalogs and the model B, which had 20" mahogany decks with coaming, didn't appear until 1927. Before that there were A, 2A, and 3A but none had 20" decks with coaming. There are no photos of that deck in the 1927 through 1940 catalogs. Maybe they weren't that common seeing as it was a whopping $10.00 extra for the upgrade. I'll just put together my best guess and then we'll have a picture of that for the files. Thanks again to all.
Craig

Back