Chestnut work order [ serial ] numbers

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
For the second time I have a 15' Chestnut w/c canoe with a 4 digit work order [ serial ] number stamped on the stem face rather than the usual 5 digit number. Yes, it definately is a Chestnut. Some where I read that there was a date that they went from the 4 to the 5 digit format. Can anyone refresh my memory as to what that date was. Thanks.

I have a 1950 Chestnut Chum (15') and it has 4 digits. The PO assured me it was a 1950 as the family purchased it new.
Can't add any other info as to when they went to 5 digits, although I have a 1970 Bob's with 5 digits, also purchased new by PO.

This could be interesting since my Chestnut is 4 digit but we had figured it was late 60's. Perhaps it is older.

Thanks for the replys. I went through my records of 133 Chestnut Canoe Company canoe serial numbers and found only 7 that were 4 digit. For what it is worth they were 15' Bobs S -# 8207, 15' Bobs S - # 1797, 14' Fox - # 4866, 15' Doe - 6492, 16' Prosp. - # 4558, 20' Olgivy - # 7885 and a 16' unknown model - # 9517 15EXL.
While on the topic it may also be worth noting that of a total of 135 Chestnut canoe records that I have only 2 canoes had no serial numbers, only 2 canoes had the letter C ahead of the number and about 15 serial numbers had 6 digits starting with 0. The balance were 5 digit serial numbers excepting a few minor variations. With all due respect my records seems differer a little from Dan Miller's Chestnut Canoe Company serial number information ????? I can post the numbers if would help anyone.

With all due respect my records seems differer a little from Dan Miller's Chestnut Canoe Company serial number information ?????

And that is the beauty of our new KnowledgeBase - you should go in and edit the Chestnut entry to better reflect what is known about Chestnut serial numbers... I only know a little bit about canoes, so you should not take my words as gospel!

If you want to add my Chestnut to your list: sn 46 51424 is a 14'9" x 33" x 14" undetermined model with 1-1/2" ribs.

Thanks for the info Dave. I just acquired what appears to be a early 1950's Bob's special from Toronto with C102 on the inside stem. Any additional info or comments would be much appreciated. Mark.

I also have a question, or concern about my 15 ft Bob's Special. Its serial number is 15 80599, does anyone think that looks similar. It is a real original Chestnut.

Some more info... my Chestnut Kruger has a C28609 on the stem, and many signs of being an older boat. But my Peterborough is a known 1958 Mermaid, and it just has a 5883 and no model number (1814). Pretty sure it's a Peternut...

Hi I have a Chestnut #C25250. About 14' guess late 1950's oe early 1960's. Any help on identification would be brilliant thanks.

Back