Chestnut Red

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
OK a I picked this Chestnut Deer up today having been offered it privately last weekend. I can remember it being i ported into the UK in 2007 and liked it then. It came with a pair of original Chestnut paddles and the whole lot came out of the Fredericton area in 2007. It is a late Chestnut probably built before they vanished; skinny ribs and a vinyl canvas clearly from when they we’re trying to be more competitive and get canoes out of the door quicker.

It generally looks OK. One broken rib which was noted in 2007 and discolouration to the canvas. I will tidy it up and eventually put a more traditional canvas on but as it’s watertight and usable I intend to use it as it is.

When I do get around to painting it does anyone have a code for Chestnut Red which I believe trips towards an orange hue.

Thanks,

Nick

IMG_3161.jpeg
L1020505.jpeg
L1020506.jpeg

Nick I recently posted looking for the "proper" soup aux pois recipe. I know that Matchless paint 6536 may have been it. That's all I know.
WRT Red, Kirby Red and Kirby Fire Red have been suggested to achieve a close to correct red.
Doug Ingraham is credited for the following recipe that is supposed to be the correct red:
Using CIL base 337260 3.41can
BLK 0p8
LFY 2p0
FFR 9p0
WHT 0p20
The recipe is meaningless to me and also to George Kirby.

I was on the phone with Kirby about Chestnut paint several times this week. They do not catalog anything that is labeled as a Chestnut color.
You might just pick something you like and avoid going down the rat hole trying to figure out the original color.

Back