Chestnut or? Need help identifying!

babinke

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the site and this is my first post. I've inherited an old cedar strip canoe that use to belong to my grand father. I'm looking for information on where its from and it's maker. I never measured the width or depth but its 15' long and the ribs are 2 3/8 wide with 2 inch spaces between them. Ill measure the rest tonight. Any help would be appreciated. I attached a few pictures.

Thank you
Keith

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 281
15 x 37 x 12.5 is what I measured. 1967 bobs special maybe? It has two thwarts though.

Huron

I think your canoe was built by one of the Quebec builders - Bastien Brothers, or maybe Picard.

Great thanks. Just couldn't find anything that had the wide strips down the center. Thanks for the help! Let the restoring begin.

The wide strips down the centre were not original to the canoe but have been added, the half ribs between the ribs were put in when it was built, but someone has added the 4 strips on top of the ribs.

Your right. I knew my grand mother didnt know much about it but i just called her and she said my uncle had added those later on. Did they have any names for their canoes or just a serial number? My grand father would of got it in the 1970s. It was given to him by a fella who rented a cottage from him and didnt have the money to pay him. This was in Bathurst Newbrunswick.

Back