cars and trucks wearing canoes as hats...

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Here is one for ya, Kath.........
It is what I assumed to be a JR Robertson..... or definitely a Charles River area build. I did the restoration a couple of years ago. The photo shows it ready for delivery. Bent inner and outer stems for this one. Humbling experience!
I was actually going to paddle this one to it's owner, who had river property, but flood stage river levels meant that it had to go on the Tahoe.

Minus 9 degrees here! Waiting for the shop to warm up so I can paint an Old Town and a Kennebec!
Cheers to all!
Dave

www.littlelakescanoe.com

Attachments

• edTahoe2.JPG
    edTahoe2.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,159
Oooo that looks like a mighty purty hat! The grass looks nice, too... we aren't below-zero yet here, but feels like it's coming our way!

Stay warm
Kathy

Here is my Honda wearing a Willits hat, at the Willits factory on Day Island.

Attachments

• willitsfactory.JPG
    willitsfactory.JPG
    677.1 KB · Views: 1,082
Two Hats

In order to get the job done right, you gotta wear two hats.:D

Attachments

• TwoHats.jpg
    TwoHats.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 1,008
Three gets more people doing the job
firsttrip001.jpg

ok thier not wood but the red one is an old chestnot fiberglass that was going to the dump that me and the boys redid,and we know kathryn likes pics of hats

So what would you call this? An old bonnet maybe. 5 Chestnuts, 1 Huron. Had to leave #7 behind for later pickup, just couldn't get it in.

Attachments

• DSC00419.JPG
    DSC00419.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,021
  • DSC00414.JPG
    DSC00414.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 1,357
  • DSC00416.JPG
    DSC00416.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,379
Last edited:
Rob, if you only knew what I had to pay for them it wouldn't be called plunder. Never did tell wifey what they really cost but then what guy does.

Bartholomew...?

What if, when you began removing the canoes, you never got to the bottom of 'em...?

Attachments

• 200px-The_500_hats_of_bartholomew_cubbins.jpg
    200px-The_500_hats_of_bartholomew_cubbins.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 718
A fall paddle that ended in a salvaging operation, the canoe was found half sunk in a tangle of logs. This FG canoe will be used as a beater or for loaning to friends(!) who don't have any respect for W/C canoes... Luckily the distance to drive was short but I still got a few stares.

Louis Michaud
Rimouski, Quebec

Attachments

• RivRikiFGtransp.jpg
    RivRikiFGtransp.jpg
    976.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • RivRikiFG.jpg
    RivRikiFG.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 953
  • RivRiki1.jpg
    RivRiki1.jpg
    827.8 KB · Views: 957
The vehicle below is not exactly wearing canoes as hats but it should get some kind of honorable mention for the most canoes and especially some of the biggest ones. The truck had "Keels on Wheels" written in big black letters across the front.

Benson

Attachments

• FACTORY.JPG
    FACTORY.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 980
  • TRUCK-2.JPG
    TRUCK-2.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 932
It's not me in the photo, but this is a 20' canoe on and in a Jeep Cherokee. In order to avoid the overhangs, then ends were cut off, nested, and stuck inside.

Actually, its a sectional Dean Klondike canoe that I built some years ago.

Attachments

• Picture31a.jpg
    Picture31a.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 940
Jeeps with hats

The PY Guide was too far gone and wasn't even much of a Jeep hat. It was found under a brush pile and was nearly all rot.

The PY Hunter had been 'glassed and is now nearly done, but for some sanding/varnishing/painting.

Attachments

• PYguide-18.jpg
    PYguide-18.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 901
  • 100_1173.jpg
    100_1173.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 866
I realize that the balsa wood core in the floor of the canoe shown below doesn't really make it a 'wood canoe' but it might win a colorful 'hat' prize. It is also clear that aerodynamics can make a huge difference in mileage. I just drove 120 miles to help deliver a canoe for a museum exhibit and got 24 miles per gallon on the way out as shown below. The return trip averaged 34 MPG without the canoe or load bars on top.

Benson

Attachments

• Breakout.jpg
    Breakout.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 764
Last edited:
Old Blazer at Cedar River Flow

Back when the wood canvas bug was new, here's my old blazer and my Chestnut Pal with a plastic OT Camper in fore ground at Cedar River Flow in the ADK's

His and hers Easter bonnets

Yahoo, the ice is finally off a few of the lower elevation lakes around here. Going fishing!!!!!!! Two freshly restored w/c Chestnuts. My 16' Pal and her 11' Featherweight which was completed last month. And yes, we still sleep in the same bed.

Attachments

• truck hats.jpg
    truck hats.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 724
39/66

I just finished the paint job on my 1939 Kennebec when this thread came back around so I decided it would be the perfect place to show it off.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0264.jpg
    DSC_0264.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 812
Back