Carleton or old town

baselinebob216

Curious about Wooden Canoes
hi everyone, new to the site. i have been given a canoe with the serial # 7045 17, i was told its a 1911 carleton, or an old town carleton. it doesnt look like any of the carleton's ive seen. they all have much higher ends, and this one has no heart shaped deck, probably an earlier restore. if i was to describe the ends of this boat i would say they are reminiscent of an old town guide. any info on how to find the lineage of this canoe would be great, im trying to do as exact an restoration as possible- thanks Bob

The Carleton canoe company's build record for serial number 7045 shows a 20 foot long canoe and the Old Town canoe company's record for that number shows a 16 foot long canoe so those probably aren't yours if you have a 17 foot long one. The Kennebec with that serial number is 17 feet long but it may still be hard to identify if the decks and other significant features have been replaced. It shipped to "McCallister" which may have been in Baltimore. Was this canoe found in the Maryland area? Can you provide any pictures and identify the types of woods on any parts that do appear to be original, especially the stems, thwarts, seats, etc.?

Benson

Back