canvas

cherylbarden

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a Stephenson rowing canoe with canvas. It has these small sections of what a potter might call crazing in the canvas. Will this be a problem if I put it in the water? If so, what needs to be done to remedy it. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 252
The short answer is no, it probably won't be a problem if you put it in the water. Things like this are not unusual in old canoes so the longer answer depends on exactly what is causing it. The remedy typically involves sanding and new paint as a minimum or replacing the entire canvas. Others may be able to offer a more detailed response,

Benson

That kind of crazing, or crackling, or alligatoring is pretty common on older canoes with old paint. There is a pretty good discussion of what to do starting on page 2 of this thread:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?5790-11-old-town

As long as the paint and the filler are not actually chipping off the canvas, your problem can be solved at least temporarily with a coat or two of paint, or primer and paint, which will seal any seeps through the cracks.

If the paint/filler is actually flaking off, you should probably consider a new canvas.

My experience is that even with a good deal of sanding and filling, the crazing is not likely to be smoothed out. But some paint and primer, with just some minimal sanding, will vastly improve appearances and make the canoe functional for a number of years.

Here are a few more links on the topic you might want to explore:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?6607-sanding-or-not&p=35286#post35286

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?9626-My-first-wood-canoe&p=50987#post50987

and this link as yet more links, if you want to get really obsessive:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?8906-Repaint-Tips

Last edited:
Thanks Greg. The cracking is not chipping or open anywhere. I get that I need to prime and paint, so do I sand before I paint or after priming or painting? Cheryl PS. Do you know of anyone in Maine who could do this?

PHEW! I thought I was the only one with this embarrassing problem - but my canoe as well as developed hairline cracks and spiderwebbing in various patches, the concerning difference being the canvas job is less than one year old!! The canvas and filler were the tried and true gold standard traditional mix supplied by North Woods Canoe Company applied as directed and cured for 10 weeks in a dry basement prior to a couple coats of paint (Sherwinn Williams Iron Clad oil base). At the end of last season some crazing had developed resembling a dry lake bed. At the beginning of this season, I lightly sanded it smooth and added another couple coats of the same paint (changing the color slightly) which fixed the original crazed patches for now, but last night after paddling, I noticed another fine hairline crack in the paint looking like continuation of the same saga!

I'm thinking it may have had to do with the filler - it was mixed very thoroughly and frequently during application (the stuff settles in the can) and although the application started out in a promising way, by the time I had reached the other end of one side of the canoe, I didn't get the sense that the filler was really penetrating, but more like glazing over the top of the canvas. I added a little mineral spirits to try to thin it out a little which helped slightly, but still, it was quick to glaze over as soon as it was applied and I didn't get the sense that it was working into the canvas to the same extent that it did at the outset. The story smacks of inadequate mixing, but as I was concerned about that at the outset and kept stirring during the application, I can't imagine that that was really the case.

I plan to continue to temporize the process with paint while I enjoy using the canoe. Given that the canoe will probably need recanvassing prematurely, I can be a little more relaxed about the inevitable signatures of use, and can enjoy it a little more.

sanding

I am hoping with some care, I can keep my boat in shape to carry me a few years. The sanding part of this project is making me the most nervous. I have concerns about going too far and compromising the canvas. Any suggestions, or guidance?

P5140023.jpg

I think it best to sand it and paint it and sand it and paint it. I had this happen twice. Once with purchased filler and once with Zinsser oil based primer/sealer called water tite. I think it was that I had the filler too thick and I didn't get it worked in well enough. My supplier filler may have been a bad batch but I think it was me. it cracked before the canoe was even done.

I've not had any problems lately but those two boo boos were enough.

Thank you Dave. I am trying very hard to not make a mistake with this one hence all the questions. Thank you all for your input.

Back