Canvas Dilemma

What about torpedo ends with deep curves in what Howie is calling the "cheek" area? This is where I got into trouble. A canoe with a "standard" stem is really pretty straight forward but when the stem comes way back on itself the forces you can apply to pull lengthwise and towards the rail get split.....

I was wondering the same when I began canvassing the Kingsbury, but it turned out just fine. I worried for nothing.

When I did my Old Town I stretched the canvas using the tow hitches of two SUV's for anchor points but the wrong way up. I cranked it in with ratchets with everything creaking to the point that I thought the canvas may tear. I then pulled down from the centre with wide pliers rolling inwards to add tension before firing staples in. This was repeated each side along the whole length of the canoe.

I couldn't hold my beer glass for the next 3 days as my hands and wrists ached so much. We will see how it stays as temperature in the garage where I store the canoes varies considerably over the seasons.
View attachment 47995
View attachment 47996
Nick
I bet you found a way to hold that glass...:)

Back