Canoe tack clinching tools....

Michael Graessle

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
My curiosity has gotten the better of me and I wonder what you craftsmen use and recommend.

I am getting ready to begin work on my canoe and need a tack clinching tool. I understand many people use automotive body dollies or old axe heads and other such items they have on hand. I have no such tool and am looking at purchasing something this week.

They are similar cost, but which has the best functionality? I feel the canoe tool would be better suited as it is specialty designed for the task and has been in use for a hundred years.

Dan, That is my plan, I was just curious what others thought. I was just up at Island Falls to pick up parts from Jerry in November, I wish I had thought about this sooner! It is just 5 minutes down the road.

Michael

These are the ones I use. I made them and cleaned up a fine wire wheel and used Top Coat on them. Need to keep clean or will make black marks on the wood .The one on the right is made from a piece of rail road track and is the one I use the most.

Attachments

• 212.JPG
    212.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 477
Gary, I ended up buying a tool from Northwoods. I like your railroad track, it seems easy to grip and hold on to.

Back