Can she be saved?

Easternrivers

Traditionalist
A local guy asked me to look at his old canoe to see if it can be restored.
It's pretty old and weathered since it's been laying outside for a few years!
Stems are different in that they appear to be slab sided. I hadn't seen that before. I think it's locally built as the constructing is abit rough. The deck cut-outs are not shaped very well.

For enough time -money and desire I think it could float again.....but I wouldn't know what to tell him as far as costs go.
Any comments?
Thanks

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 031.jpg
    Copy of Picture 031.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Copy of Picture 023.jpg
    Copy of Picture 023.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Copy of Picture 028.jpg
    Copy of Picture 028.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Copy of Picture 038a.jpg
    Copy of Picture 038a.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Copy of Picture 033.jpg
    Copy of Picture 033.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Copy of Picture 034.jpg
    Copy of Picture 034.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 257
A couple more pics.
The stern seat is webbed with flat reed looks like.
Also, notice the slab sided stem.
Interesting planking pattern as well, but not very structurally sound I think.

Attachments

• Copy of Picture 027.jpg
    Copy of Picture 027.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Copy of Picture 030.jpg
    Copy of Picture 030.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Copy of Picture 036.jpg
    Copy of Picture 036.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Copy of Picture 026.jpg
    Copy of Picture 026.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 206
sorry but....

I'm all for saving every old canoe we possibly can, heck, I pulled one out of a field recently and it got passed to a prominent builder (Gil), but I won't say who, opps I think I might have. It ended up on a burn pile. Anyhow, sometimes ya just gotta let go! Andre, wheres your lighter icon? This one seems just to far gone and not worth the $400 - $500minimum to bring it back to life. :(

It actually looks to be well on its way to be a flower pot, I'd sprinkle some wildflower seeds in it and watch them fill it with color!

It actually looks to be well on its way to be a flower pot, I'd sprinkle some wildflower seeds in it and watch them fill it with color!
LOL, that's what I thought tooat first. But I think it could be done just the same.
Planking around the garboard is still intact, believe it or not. the grass you see is growing in the bed of pine needles laying in the bottom.
The time involved would be enormous I think tho...I think I'll let him know I'm not comfortable taking it on for him.

Stems are different in that they appear to be slab sided. I hadn't seen that before. I think it's locally built as the constructing is abit rough. The deck cut-outs are not shaped very well.

This is almost certainly a home-built one-off canoe. The decks and the stems are very similar to those shown in the 1938 Popular Mechanics article "Build Your Own Canoe." The construction of the stems is shown in figures 4, 6, and 7, and the shape of the decks is shown in figures 4 and 5 from the article. During construction, the stem is temporarily fastened to the form strongback with a cleat, as shown.

aaaa11.jpg

About the building of the stems, the designer/author R. O. Buck says:

"Bending canoe stems is a cranky job, even with special equipment for the business, so you use stems built up from regular stock as in Fig. 6. The grain should run nearly at right angles as in Fig. 7, and casein glue and dowels should be used in the joint."

Construction of the PM canoe was the subject of an article by Jack Davis, "Building the Popular Mechanics canoe" in the Summer, 1981, Wooden Canoe Journal, No. 7, and while he does not discuss the building of the stems, a photo in that article shows the "slab" stems being built as per the plans. (The construction of a one-off canoe somewhat different than the PM canoe was the subject of an article by Alex Comb, "Building a One-Off Wood and Canvas Canoe" in the April 2006 issue of Wooden Canoe, No. 134; notably, that canoe abandoned the PM canoe's style of stems and used the more usual bent stems.)

Also, the planking pattern on the canoe in question does not follow the planking pattern shown in the PM article. The builder may not have been using the PM plans, or any plans at all, or he might simply have gone his own way with the planking, or have followed the pattern of an actual canoe he had access to. Who knows?

I tend to agree that this canoe is not worth the money/effort to restore -- but if the owner knows the person who built it, and has a special connection to that person, perhaps . . .

I too am for saving every old canoe out there, but unless as Greg says there is some great emotional attachment to this boat then I would agree with Chris. Time to let her go.
Denis

Good job Paul, Most of us are stuck thinking along the lines of fix or destroy. The guy could pull it out of the weeds , clean it up a little and maybe sell it as a hanger as you suggest.
Denis

Great job Mr Nolan, looks spot on. Planking pattern aside, its hard to imagine a builder fastening ribs to gunwales with tacks...
Pearson, i only burn canoes not planters.:D

Yeah, ok, I get it, you have lack of vision, just picture it.....a flaming canoe planter glowing in the fall evening!!!! Only paralleled by a Killbear sunset! Or so I hear.

I'm of the opinion that most canoes should be saved if possible or resonable. Remembering Rollin's quote..."given one rib...." In this case,....possible? A weak "Yes". Reasonable?...NO.
It could serve as a planter or flaming planter, or as a bad example of how to care for a wooden canoe.
It could be left to rot with dignity or in the words of Gil Cramer, "a hotdog roast".
My gut tells me to get the buns ready...Gil and I are coming for a weenie roast!

That article certainly looks like the canoe for sure.
I was leaning toward flower pot myself.

Someone recently told that a professional restoration of this would cost almost 5 grand!
I also say....time to let her go.

Thanks Folks...I knew you would have the answers.

as an aside- I did a CR a couple years ago and the ribs were fastened to the inwales with tacks. When I took the outwales off the inwales fell off. The tacks did not hole. It had been redone prior to me and I suspect the guy did not have bronze ring nails in those days.

Back