Think I found a PAL

Easternrivers

Traditionalist
I got a line on this canoe...Rough but fixable I think...
Guy says it's a Prospector, but I think it resembles a Pal closer...maybe even Ajax.
I can only say that it is 16 feet and abit over 34in wide. Ribs are 2.25" with 1.5-1.75" spacing. I think the ribs are 3/8" thk. A bit of tumblehome but it's been laying about for awhile so hard to see for sure.
Gunnels and decks and stems need replaced..Also 4-5 cracked ribs maybe more....I love a challenge

I'm fairly sure it's Chestnut, as it's in our hometown..not to mention the slight scallop under the deck.The labels are gone, but it speaks Chestnut.

Any guess on the correct model?

Attachments

• IMG_9366.JPG
    IMG_9366.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_9361.JPG
    IMG_9361.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_9362.JPG
    IMG_9362.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9363.JPG
    IMG_9363.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9364.jpg
    IMG_9364.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 240
Did you go out and have a look at it? Seller mentioned to me that someone was to be out there yesterday to check it out.
After seeing the pictures I figured i'd pass on the canoe. Not a horrible canoe for the price but better canoes can be found around here with some patience. Not every basket case needs to be fixed :)

Bottom of this canoe looks very round, i'd guess it was a Prospector and not a Pal.

Jamie

Did you go out and have a look at it? Seller mentioned to me that someone was to be out there yesterday to check it out.
After seeing the pictures I figured i'd pass on the canoe. Not a horrible canoe for the price but better canoes can be found around here with some patience. Not every basket case needs to be fixed :)

Bottom of this canoe looks very round, i'd guess it was a Prospector and not a Pal.

Jamie

Hi, yes that was me last night....the stems and decks are really rough.
The bottom was rounded, but the planking looked pretty good. The rib repairs would take some doing tho.
HE was firm on price too...would not budge! I left it there. Still debating on it. The Prospector was the model I was after when I started this canoe restoration stuff. I just hate to see a wood canoe go to waste!

For what it's worth, it looks like a Prospector to me.The rounded bottom and the slat seats are similar to my 17' Prospector. The two thwarts would probably make it a Fort model Prospector. The Pal has no tumblehome. All the Pals I've seen do not have the slat seats, but that doesn't mean Chestnut made them all that way. A depth measurement would be helpful as the Prospectors were all pretty deep-around 14" for the 16 foot Prospector. The advertise beam is 36"

Last edited:
After doing more research, I'm thinking this is a cruiser model(Kruger?).
Mostly because of the more rounded bottom and the narrower beam, closer to 34in. than 36 for the Prospector...
IMHO....

One thing that may be a give-away on Prospectors is that one edge of the ribs is straight, the other edge slightly beveled, at say 70%. The beveled edge of the rib is in the direction of the stern, until the midpoint of the canoe, then the beveled edge goes to the front. I’ve noticed this on every Prospector I have seen. But I haven’t seen a lot of other Chestnuts to confirm if this practice was unique to the Prospector.

Well, I gambled abit too long on this one..(2 hours or so).

It was sold the same day I was to go make the final deal.
Oh well...the search continues...

Back