Building a Birchbark Canoe over a few years time . . .

Nice canoes on the morairphotos web site. I espescially like the one piece hull 15 footer. The lashing and decorative sewing are well mastered. The general shape of the canoe is also very graceful!

Well, I made it through another winter down here in Alabama. I think we got one morning of snow. :D Anyway, I haven't forgotten about the birch bark canoe and am already planning my trip up to Canada for July. I hope to spend a day walking the woods and searching out materials. Should be fun. I only wish I could spend longer up there. It is so peaceful.

I'm still around. I just returned home from my yearly Canada trip. I didn't really prepare before going up this year but while walking the woods looking for chantrelles, I began experimenting with harvesting spruce root. I gathered several strands about eight feet long each, removed the sheath, and split them. I used a couple of strands and practiced working with them. I have the others coiled up and stored at the cabin. I plan to heat up one of the strands next year and see how workeable it becomes. The sample bark I gathered a couple of years ago is just as pliable today as it was when I pulled it from the tree. It sits on my desk at work along side one of the spruce roots I brought home. I think next summer I will look into splitting and working with cedar.

Does anybody have a downloaded copy of the mocotaugan book? The authors used to post it as a free download at the site that Rob Stevens posted above, but the site doesn't work any more. I'd love to get my hands on a copy.

Back