Bow eye strap installation 1930 OT square stern

MerchantMarine

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all

I am reinstalling my bow eye strap that broke last year. In the meantime I was using some line through the pin hole to tie the boat up and anchor her. This caused the hole that the eye strap pin to goes through to bore out slightly. I want to refill this and then drill it out again. Questions

1 have any of you ever reinstalled one of these before and peened a new brass pin.

2 how do I fill such a large hole for redrilling. What substance or product or technique should I use

3 what is the best way to fix stripped out screw holes. I am aware of the matchstick wood glue technique but is there another better way for load bearing screws or screws that may be under tension.

4 I will post pics tomorrow I have obtained the brass round stock for making the new pin and also got a peening tool. Before I do this wanted to know what you guys though also let me know if my terminology needs more explaining before you guys understand what I am talking about.

In the pic you can see the new round stock and the new eye strap and the peening tool, the pin hole through the outside stem is the hole that is elongated so that the pin no longer fits tight.

The other pic is my girlfriend bundled up in the bow on Moosehead, hard to believe how cold and rough that lake gets even during the summer.

Hope everyone is having a really good summer. I've had the boat out a bunch this year.

Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 234
I agree with Dan's suggestion about relocating the holes to find good wood. You may also find that your brass rod might be too hard to peen over well. A thick copper rod (or very large gage electrical cable) will work much better. Don't ask why I know this to be true. Good luck,

Benson

Thanks Benson. I will give the brass a try then probably end up doing it exactly like you say. I got really excited when I found the rod stock almost by accident it was 3 bucks for 24 inches so I bought it.

Back