Bn morris is going to be reborn

SWEETWATER

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Just got back from picking up a bn morris canoe thats been in the same family since new.its 17' and serial # 12896. will post pics later today:D

Pics

IMG_0303.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

The only issue with this canoe is the gunwhales are not perfect it seems when they took out the thwarts it got out of whack. Is this fixable or is this a big problem?

Several of the folks here have proven that just about any wood/canvas canoe is fixable/restorable... so you'll be getting the specific advice you need to make this canoe look as it once did from someone who may have turned two bookcases back into a canoe, or replaced a middle-part that was run over by a train. You found a canoe that doesn't appear to need much to get it back to original, if that's where you're heading.

Morris put those painter rings on the stems (on the floor of the canoe-- the splayed-part, above the serial number plate), but someone must have decided they worked better on the decks. I suppose they could have been ordered that way from the factory, as builders would do what the customer wanted... but what I've seen on Morris canoes is a painter ring such as yours on the stem. I may have mentioned this when I got the information on your canoe for the database-- just wanted to bring it up again for anyone else reading this.

Kathy

Those look like some rather serious hard spots in the rails. Try clamping some boards on the outside of both rails and use some straps or bar clamps to pull the boat back in shape. Let it sit for a while and see how it does.

Might not want to pull them in all at once? Maybe just pull them in part way, let it sit a few days, them pull it in some more?

I'm no expert, so may be being a little more cautious than necessary.

Might not want to pull them in all at once? Maybe just pull them in part way, let it sit a few days, them pull it in some more?

I'm no expert, so may be being a little more cautious than necessary.

Forgive the pessimism but those rails look like they are shot. The kink that is in the areas of "the bulge" is so deeply concentrated in each rail that it looks like the rails gave way. Is that where the thwart bolts were located?
I am guessing that the boat will need two new inner rails....... not the end of the world by any means. You might be able to save the original caps.
The canoe is in really great shape so it's definitely worth the time to repair.

Forgive the pessimism but those rails look like they are shot

My thoughts exactly, but before i went nuts trying to put new gunwales in it i think I'd pull the shape back in and router and spline them, along with reinstalling the missing thwart(s). Reinforcing them, however time consuming, would likely be much less work than pocketing, bending and installing new rails. I do tend to lazy though....

Keep in mind that Morris canoes have inwales with pockets cut out for each rib -- the inwales are not just long straight strips of wood. I would guess that those hard bends are at a pocket, and will not be easily straightened. Of course, making a replacement pocketed inwale is not the easiest of restoration jobs.

Forgive the pessimism but those rails look like they are shot

My thoughts exactly, but before i went nuts trying to put new gunwales in it i think I'd pull the shape back in and router and spline them,

Agree 100%. Nothing to lose by that as the worst case is that you replace them anyway.
One of the rails in mine was rotted away....it can be done.
Comment about that kink being in a pocket is spot on.

yes it is right at the bolts were a thwart was, i want someone to restore it for me, the only thing besides canvas is the gunwhale issue. im hoping it is not going to be to expensive to fix.anyone know any morris experts in mass.

thanks, the inwhales are not actually broke or cracked just distorted. i hope maybe making some temp thwarts and slowly bringing in the sides , and trying to put a spline in or something like that

Back