Art, Nova Scotia

Art

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi there,
I've just registered and am in the process of restoring a Bob's Special. I'm not sure if it is a pre or post fire model. I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who is interested in seeing how it's going and in providing advice on some problems I'm having.

I have replaced both stems and spliced the in rails onto new decks. I now have a misalignment in the stems and I have to confess that I don't know if it was there before I did the work :-(. When I put a line between the stems I am out 1.25 in.

Another problem ( that I should have noticed before) is that one rail has lost it's shape. Several ribs are broken off in the centre of the canoe along with a good size hole in the planking and it was left for some time resting on the damaged side. I have already done a lot of work , new stems, decks, spliced inrails and five replaced ribs so far. I am hoping that I don't have to redo the the work I've already done. Help!!!

thanks, Art

Last edited:
Welcome, Art

You'll get the support you need, from some great folks, in this place!

I'm afraid I don't have any advice regarding your restoration job... except to say we love pictures and sometimes they help get the point (or extent of the problem) across in a big way!

Take heart... one day you'll be paddling your beautiful Bob's!

Again, welcome... "help" is on the way!

Kathy

bob special

yes that misaliment is built right into them i have one also which i am going to restore its the same way and i have looked at two more that are the same way it must of came from there mould that can not be a cowinsadince excure the spelling post a couple of pics when i start the one going to do post some pics for you thank you

Thanks for your encouragement aboout the stems.
I think I have attached some pictures

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

bob special

hey art thing sure are looking up i like the pics nice job are you going to canvas or fiber glass the outside

Good morning Art;
Welcome aboard!.....you will find that by posting your questions (in the future) down below in the maintenace and constuction section will get tons of response to your dilemas as they arise....AND ....as katherine said....A picture is worth a ton of words!...

Hi BV,
Thanks for your welcome. Ive taken your advice and posted my response to Fitz in the other section.

Art

Heh Donald,

Thanks again. I will be putting canvas on the canoe. I'll have lots of questions when I get to that stage. I have posted a reply to another responder, "Fitz", in the canoe maintenance and repair section.

CHEERS, Art

Back