SW Nova Scotia

Jason Muise

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I don't know if I should say anything since this hasn't been mentioned yet, but the SW of Nova Scotia is a back country canoeist's dream. There is Kejimkujik NP and the Tobeatic Wilderness Area. The Tobeatic area is the location of head waters of several rivers interconnected with portages that are as old as the Mi'kmaw. If you want a little taste of what it was like 100 years ago, pick up the book "The Tent Dwellers" , Alfred Bigelow Paine. It's pretty short, and laugh out loud funny.

I've heard about this area, and everything I've heard makes me want to pack up & get there for about two or three summers. All the reviews I've read & heard have been tremendous. One of these years.....

The Kej

The Kej is a nice place for canoe camping, though I suspect little known outside the maritimes. It is an area of interlocking lakes with streams reminiscent of Algonquin Park or the Boundary Waters/Quetico. There are designated camping sites complete with picnic tables, fire rings and privies. And it is the only place I've camped where carrying an ax in mandatory. There is a pile of large logs at each site, and you have to split your firewood from it. They don't want you cutting your own wood. You do have to register your route and for campsites, and there is a fee. It is the only place I've been where I've seen flocks of 20 loons at one place. Certainly a location appropriate for wooden canoes. Tom McCloud

Back