Applying filler to the stem. How?

Cajun

Hobbyist Craftsman
Hi guys,

First time canvassing an old cedar plank canoe.
I think I got my head around filling the sides. But how am I supposed to apply the filler to the stems?

I was told to apply a coat with short bristle brush to a section. Then massage with a canvas mit. Then once it starts to dry I need to massage with a 1/4 sander and a piece of leather until it harders and smooths.

I was just thinking this last step would be impossible to perform along the stem.

I'm sorry I dont really know what I'm using for a filler but it must be the standard oil based filler.
Thoughts?

Hi Cajun and welcome to the group,

There is no "set" way of applying "traditional" filler, we all do it a bit different.

I roll the filler on with a long nap roller and go over the stems many times.

The first coat usually soaks in enough that you don't need to rub in with the canvas mitt.

The second coat is applied right after the first and then it is rubbed in with the mitts after the entire canoe is rolled. The traditional filler doesn't really "dry" that fast but does thicken a bit.

The third coat follows the second and I do apply in sections and rub with the mitt followed by my bare hands until it is super smooth.

The stems are not really treated any different than the rest of the canoe other than they get more coats. I can imaging rubbing with the leather would smooth it out better than the mitt, but not as smooth as your bare hands. Of course you have to wait a few weeks for your skin to grow back.

Pic attached,

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• IMAG1277.jpg
    IMAG1277.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 216
I rest for a few minutes between coats.

I should mention I always fill the same day I canvas so I never have had issues with wrinkles or changes in the position of the canvas.

I rest for a few minutes between coats.

I should mention I always fill the same day I canvas so I never have had issues with wrinkles or changes in the position of the canvas.

I wish I could do that. I have to apply a clear preservative to the canvas prior to filling so I have to wait a week...

Back